Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default Two new batteries, one lasts 1h longer than other - 05-29-2009, 04:10 PM

Hi everyone,
I have two 4 cell Dell batteries for my Mini 9. I am running OS X 10.5.7. One of the batteries reports just over 3 hours remaining life after a full charge, but the other reports less than 2.5 hours.

They are both the same part number but the stickers on the battery look just a little different.

I weighed the batteries as well. the shorter life battery was 209grams and the longer life battery was 219grams.

Has anyone noticed anything similar? The difference is huge. Is there a way to refresh the reported battery life?
  (#2) Old
Default 05-29-2009, 05:39 PM

Have they always been this way or just recently? My guess is one of the internal cells must have failed. You can do the fn/battery trick to rerecognize the battery and it might recharge... more likely that one cell is just bad.
  (#3) Old
Default 05-29-2009, 05:47 PM

I dont know. I got the second battery with a used Dell Mini which I used for parts.

I am on Mac OS and I used System Profiler to check both batteries. System Profiler says the total capacity of the good battery is 2200mAh and the capacity of the bad battery is only 1750mAh. The good battery has been charged 15 times and the bad battery 10 times.

If a cell was bad it would have lower voltage and would not work.

I am going to have to find out if there is a way to recalibrate the battery.

I dont think the Fn + battery key works on Mac OS.

I have another SSD with windows installed on it. I might give that a try...

battery, life, performance

« Intel 4965AGN driver problem | VGA out to HDTV -- resolution problem »