Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default Odd (serious) video problems - 05-27-2009, 07:48 PM

I tried to load up windows 7 which worked perfectly, I was so excited, however right at the end of installation my video artifacts, well, actually it's more like barber polling in a flight sim. 4 scrambled bars, nothing is readable, bad sign.

I then attempted to load Windows XP which loaded fine, I installed the video driver, still fine, everything is working, I reboot, bam, same issue.

The unit came with ubuntu on it and seemed to work fine... has anyone had these issues? Is my video card just screwed? Do I return this thing or is there a trick?

I did upgrade the memory to 2 gigs, and the SSD to a runcore 32gig. Should I replace the 1 gig stick and try again? I guess I can just try that without someone telling me to, but damn, I had really hoped this was going to work right the first time.
  (#2) Old
Default 05-27-2009, 08:22 PM

I should add that once the video freaks out, the system appears to be frozen and has to be shutdown.
  (#3) Old
Default 05-27-2009, 11:47 PM

Swapping out the system memory would be my first step. The 945 shares system memory into the video memory. If the RAM you put in there is bad you may be seeing those bad sectorsbeing assigned to your video RAM and causing corruption like this. The fact that it happens at the same time as the machine locks up is only one more indicator.

Bringing you quality hand made fitted sleeves for the Mini 9 since January

« Default download location | am I screwed?? »