Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default Lock up, new Question - 05-27-2009, 12:47 PM

I've had my mini for a couple of months and its locked up on my twice. I was holding it in one hand and typing with the other. I had my fingers pressed against the back when it froze. My son used it last week, basicly the same way, holding it and squeezing the back, and it froze on him. Other than those times, the mini is sitting on a desk/table and it never freezes there.

Does anyone have a similar lockup situation? Squeezing the back while holding it, or is it just me? Kind of wondering if something inside might be momentarily shorting, causing the lockup.
  (#2) Old
Default 05-27-2009, 01:40 PM

how hard are you squeezing it? the only thing i can figure is that you squeezed it hard enough to partially unseat the RAM or SSD.
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default 05-27-2009, 02:10 PM

I haven't taken mine apart, but the only thing that connects the base & screen is the LED ribbon and the speakers (IIRC). You may want to have a look at the service manual. There may be a loose cable.

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#4) Old
Default 06-08-2009, 11:21 PM

I have had the same exact problem.
It seems the key it to never apply any pressure to that bottom cover area at all.
Somehow holding the mini on the bottom and pushing on that cover causes a lockup or freeze every time for me.
But I can hold my mini by the sides...making sure to not touch the bottom cover..and I can shake it during boot and while running with no problems.
Something must get shorted when pressure is applied.

« Crucial 32GB/64GB SSD issues | Dell Mini 9 Webcam Not working. »