Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default screws in the SSD - 05-19-2009, 07:18 PM

I see that it has happened to others but i do not see anyone with a solution. removing the screws on the SSD can be difficult. If the right tools are not used the philips x will be ruined. Well if someone puts the screw in crooked it is worse. Does anyone know of a very small screw remover that can be used to removed a jammed screw.

ken r
  (#2) Old
Default 05-19-2009, 07:23 PM

The most recommended solution is a Dremel tool - either to drill out the screw or to cut a slot in the head.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old
Default 05-20-2009, 03:14 PM

one of my former students came by and that is what we did. cut a slot and used regular screw driver. First we made like a hospital and isolated the offending screw with blue painter's masking tape to keep metal dust out of computer. we were even able to reuse the screw.

ken r
  (#4) Old
Thumbs up 05-21-2009, 12:29 AM

This has happened to me a few times. I was able to get them out each time by using needle-nose pliers to grasp the screw head and twist.
  (#5) Old
Default 05-21-2009, 03:13 AM

Using needle nose pliers may work on some screws, but the dell screws have a very very shallow head, I dont know how you could ever get bite on it! I guess enough determination may get it to work, but wow!

« Can't get Microsoft Life Chat Headset to work with my Dell Mini | Microphone chirping sounds? »