Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default Won't boot :( - 05-17-2009, 03:05 PM

Hey Guys,

Got a problem with my new mini 9.

Basically I was going about updating the bios in windows XP with the exe.
It told me to close all other programs so I did that. Then I couldn't get back onto the bios update window. Then the screen went white. I left it like that for 15min still no change. So I went for it and powered down.

Now it won't boot. The power LED comes on but the screen is unresponsive; just stays black.

Hopefully I haven't damaged the BIOS. I think it's unlikely as I didn't actually start the update. You never know though.

I've tried with an external monitor and hitting the fn+8 key a few times.

Hopefully be able to get this thing up and running soon. Just ordered a runcore and some new ram from the excellent info on this forum.

Dave G
  (#2) Old
Default 05-17-2009, 03:35 PM

Unfortunately, you "bricked" the Mini by forcing a power down. You're not the only one this has happened to - the advice we give here is to use the DOS-based BIOS update which is conveniently done through a download here. The first post in that thread also tells you how to recover from a failed BIOS update in Windows. It requires a USB floppy drive.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old
Default 05-17-2009, 03:41 PM

Cheers Holmes.

Might contact dell first; see if I can save the expense of a flash floppy drive.

Was just reading the failed BIOS update thread and as you said seems quite a few people have had it happen.

« Runcore SSD not being found. | Thermally printed stickers on bottom. »