Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default Mini/XP Startup Sequence messed - 11-11-2008, 07:21 PM

OK, so I tried to reformat my 16 GB SSD and reload XP to try to get more disk space and get rid of all the other crap thats not needed. Anyway, I successfully accomplished that and got 6 GB back. But now, every time I power on the Mini, it says to choose the OS between two XP Home doesn't work/does not boot, the other works fine/normal.

Why do I have an option for two operating systems? When I reformatted the drive, I tried to wipe the whole thing out and start fresh with just XP. I did not partition the drive into different sections either. I tried to see what the drive looks like and it has two partitions; the XP with 14 GB and a non-partitioned 8 MB partition which I can not delete.

Is there any solution to get rid of this option of selecting an operating system during startup?

Thanks for the help!!

Mini 9 with 2gb RAM, DELL BT Travel Mouse, IO DVD/CD Burner, 16GB SD.
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Mini/XP Startup Sequence messed - 11-11-2008, 10:49 PM

You will have to reinstall and delete the prior partitions.
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Mini/XP Startup Sequence messed - 11-11-2008, 11:30 PM

Not so fast. I had the same problem and and when I installed Media Center Edition it did the same thing only it asked me to choose between XP Home and Media Center. I did a search for this problem and it revealed the following fix. You just need to edit boot.ini file in notepad and delete the line that says old. Min e was easier because I just deleted the one that said XP Home since I just installed Media Center. I reformatted my whole drive so I know this was the proper fix. Just edit the boot.ini file and your done. No need to delete partitions.

910,Black, Win 7 RC1,64gb Runcore SSD, 2gb Ram, 32gb SDHC Cls 4,B-tooth,1.3Wb Cam, Sprint Touch Pro on Verizon Modem
XPS M1330, T9300, 4gb DDR, 128gb SSD, 128mb Nvidia, LCD Screen, BT, Wireless-N, Soundblaster (320gb HDD w/ Windows 7)
  (#4) Old
Default Re: Mini/XP Startup Sequence messed - 11-12-2008, 02:52 AM

regardless of what people say bout removing partitions etc, I had the exact same problem

I put in XP Pro cd...deleted all partitions that were on the drive through the bluescreen install page, and was left with unpartitioned space, i installed on this and chose to format it with FAT32 (not quick). all was installed, and restarted PC, and HOME & PRO option came up. I was fuming. I cbf formatting all again, so i just edited the boot.ini to not give the option. Or you can change the diaglog screen, so instead of showing 30 seconds to make a choice, change it to 0. The screen wont even show and it will boot XP PRO.

« XP initial startup EXTREMELY SLOW! | How do I speed up my computer »