Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default Desperate Plea for Help. - 05-02-2009, 03:11 PM

I did a very bad thing to my mini. I went to and found that there was a A05 BIOS update released on Apr 19 2009. I followed the instructions (to download the file to my desktop) and ran it from windows. I had my laptop running on AC power. I should have come to the forum like I used to for A03, A04 and used the dos-based utility to update the BIOS. I was lazy and picked the bad route.

The .exe file looked like a self-extracting zip file and extracted into a folder (some windows temp). A Phoenix Flash Utility started and asked me to start. I started it and went into the next room. When I came back after a minute or so, I saw that the application hang. Nothing (touchpad and keyboard) worked. I tried to shut down using the power button. Even that didn't work. I finally had to turn off the AC power and remove the battery to turn off my mini.

My worst fears were confirmed when I tried to turn on the mini again to get no screen output. I tried leaving the mini on for a while (45 min), and the mini got hotter (may be processor was running).

But at this point, I have lost all hope (I have read somewhere on the Internet that screwed BIOS is the worst thing that can't be corrected or repaired). I don't know what to do. The mini was gifted to me by a friend and I currently reside in India. Please help me if you faced a similar situation. I am trying in parallel with Dell India Support and Dell US Support, but that's not very hopeful at this moment.

Is there someway where I can open the mini and restore the BIOS?
  (#2) Old
Retired Mini user
Default Re: Desperate Plea for Help. - 05-02-2009, 03:18 PM

Getting an iPad
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Desperate Plea for Help. - 05-02-2009, 03:28 PM

Thanks a ton WolfKeeper for the quick reply. I have a bit of hope now and let me try that.
  (#4) Old
Default Re: Desperate Plea for Help. - 05-06-2009, 07:19 PM

Thanks a ton to who ever posted the incredible floppy drive method to recover from failed BIOS. It worked like a charm with a USB Floppy Drive.

I tried to fake to the utility that a USB Drive was a floppy drive. Thought the formatting and copying of the files happened completely, it failed at the makeboot section where it cribbed that the name of the drive was not a: or b:

My guess is that if that makeboot.exe can be modified to work on any drive letters, even a USB Key might be usable.

Anyway a huge kudos to mydellmini for solving this problem. Needless to add I am composing this post from my mini.
  (#5) Old
Super Moderator
Default Re: Desperate Plea for Help. - 05-06-2009, 07:23 PM

Glad this saved your Mini a return trip back to the depot for repair.

To date, no one has reported any success recovering from a failed BIOS flash using a USB flash drive instead of a floppy. Just don't think the Phoenix BIOS recovery supports anything other than an old-school floppy USB drive!

(#6) Old
Default Re: Desperate Plea for Help. - 05-06-2009, 07:33 PM

Glad you got it sorted.

Dell Mini 9|Black|32GB Runcore|2GB RAM|Dell 1505 b/g/n|Bluetooth|Dell 5530|16GB SDHC|Windows 7|Snow Leopard|

« ntdlr is missing--i give up | dell upgraded my ssd for free »