Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#11) Old
Default Re: Weired sound from speakers - 12-20-2008, 12:27 PM

yeah ive got the same problem, and ive muted PC beep and it still does it, really annoying, and really doesnt sound healthy!
But for £99 im not too bothered as logn as it doesnt affect anything serious!
  (#12) Old
Default Re: Weired sound from speakers - 12-22-2008, 06:58 PM

I had the same issue when i put a nlited version of xp pro and it ad a bttery issue and the damn hiss i followed the suggestions in this thread and battery fixed and hiss gone. Also updated Bios to A03

not sure what fixed what bt i don't have to mute anything to get it to stop hissing
  (#13) Old
Cool Re: Weired sound from speakers - 01-25-2009, 02:07 PM

I just got my mini 9 a few days ago and it's been great untill I started to get the hiss on the speakers with the added bonus of a cell phone interference sound!!
I disabled the pc beep like you guys suggested and it stopped all the hiss and interference..... YAY, or so I thought!!
Within 5 minutes my battery has stopped charging and refuses to charge! believe me I have tried every power outlet in the house thinking maybee the one i was using blew!!!

What do i do now?? only have 5% battery left and it won't charge (at all)
  (#14) Old
Lightbulb Re: Weired sound from speakers - 01-25-2009, 03:23 PM

Fixed the problem hooray!! now I have no interference on the speakers and battery charges!

I found a post on another forum and the solution was to do the following to make it charge again::

Totally power down the mini and unplug the power cord

with the battery still in the machine hold down 'fn' and B at the same time as you plug the power lead back in (while mains is turned on), this should make the battery and power lights flash on and then go out again

Then press 'fn' and B again and press the power button to turn on the mini.... this is supposed to make it beep once (mine beeped 4 times repeatedly)

Lastly unplug the power lead and take out the battery (it will probly still be beeping at this point as mine was) , replace the battery plug in your mains adapter and you should get the power led lit!! start up and your battery should be charging as normal !!!

I am using bios a03 don't know if this has any relevance and am using win xp!!!
  (#15) Old
Default Re: Weired sound from speakers - 01-25-2009, 04:36 PM

The other thing to check is the wifi status.

If you have power to wifi turned off (in Ubuntu at least) there is an undocumented feature that also ceases battery charging.

Found out about that the hard way.

don't know if the same 'feature' carries over to XP, but you might make sure you have wifi enabled and see if it charges first...

Black Mini 10v | Win 7 - Ubuntu 9.10 dual boot

« Can I boot without a drive??? | ok SSD Connector? »