Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default Boot sequence...cannot boot from USB CD - 04-10-2009, 11:24 AM

Hi all

Trying to migrate my Mini from Ubuntu to XP and have successfully created a slipstream version using nLite and some of the posts elsewhere on the site.

I'm at the point of trying to install and have plugged in the external USB CD drive (LG), started up the Mini and after hitting 0 requested a boot from the CD drive.....nothing. Goes straight on the SSD instead and into Ubuntu.

Next I re-booted and after hitting 2 changed the boot sequence to CD first....again nothing. I also tried enabling the CD device within the setup screens.....this put a ! next to the device. Does this mean it's recognised or something?

Just to make sure it wasn't my nice new XP cd causing the problem I inserted the original XP retail disc....nothing.

I realise I can try to install XP from a USB drive however I'm wondering why this will not work and the other posts I've read don't seem to answer the question.

Finally, my LG CD drive will only work when powered externally so previous posts on this suggesting to connect the power cable aren't really relevant here.

(#2) Old
Default Re: Boot sequence...cannot boot from USB CD - 04-10-2009, 01:03 PM

The first thing I'd try is a different disc. But since you've already tried that, then I'd try booting another PC from the USB optical drive. See if it's the Mini or the drive causing the problem.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Boot sequence...cannot boot from USB CD - 04-10-2009, 04:50 PM

Also, make sure that in your boot order you have USB devices listed above the hard drive. I am pretty sure that the BIOS doesn't see a USB cdrom as being the same thing as a cdrom.

Worth a shot, anyway.

(#4) Old
Default Re: Boot sequence...cannot boot from USB CD - 04-19-2009, 10:18 PM

I had exactly the same problem with an LG portable DVD-ROM drive. Tried all possible combinations for boot sequence, etc., also tried using both USB cables (one for data and one for power). The machine reads the XP reinstall disc with no problem, it just simply won't boot from it!

Finally ended up doing the XP install using an HP external USB drive (powered with an AC adapter). Very frustrating.
  (#5) Old
Unhappy Same deal here - 07-24-2009, 01:41 AM

I'm trying to re-install the silkscreen OEM version of Windows XP Home that came with my Mini 9 via an external USB optical drive from FastMac (External Slimline USB 2.0 BD-ROM Optical Drive - FastMac).

When I enter the setup utility (via holding the 2 key at boot), on the Boot section I move the CD/DVD/CD-RW item to the top of the list, but like other posters here, an exclamation point (!) appears before the optical drive. I assume that this means that it's not bootable or something?

I tried it with and without the extra power USB cable plugged in and nada. The FastMac optical drive mounts and reads optical discs fine with the Mini and works fine with my MacBook Pro. So I guess this means that the drive isn't bootable?

Any suggestions for how I should re-install Windows XP on my Mini 9?
(Unfortunately I don't have another USB optical drive laying around)

(#6) Old
Default 07-29-2009, 02:49 PM

You need to set USB Storage as your boot drive, not CD/DVD/CD-RW. Use (shift +1) to pout a (!) against all the other options to ensure that is the ONLY drive it looks at and it will boot from it.
  (#7) Old
Default 08-01-2009, 01:24 AM

I've had the same issues with my seems to be a HW/BIOS issue. For me it has been hit/miss. Sometimes it will detect, sometime it won't, and not just CD-ROM drive, but the SD cards, USB thumbdrives, and USB HDDs as well. What I've found is you relly have to play with it, keep trying, and switching USB ports seems to help.

Becasue of this reason (and the fact that my first TWO STEC SSDs failed) I've been pretty disappointed with my mini9.
  (#8) Old
Default 08-02-2009, 02:36 PM

Have had the same issues with my LG DVD/CD-RW. Not a power issue as it has its own power. At one point I thought it was because only one USB port is listed as 'powered' but I think last time I reinstalled XP none of the USB ports worked with it the first time. Just keep trying, I got it to recognise it eventually. Does make me scared that one day I will want to resintall XP from CD and not be able to.

Black Mini 9: 64Gb Runcore SSD, Windows XP Home, 2Gb RAM, 1.3MP webcam, Bluetooth
  (#9) Old
Default 08-25-2009, 04:03 PM

I think the way I got it to work was by plugging a USB thumbdrive in (mine is bootable) at the same time as having the DVD drive plugged in. Then I pressed 0 to bring up boot options, where the USB boot was an available option. I removed the thumbdrive, and the DVDRW worked!
  (#10) Old
Default 08-27-2009, 02:21 PM

I actually noticed some media issues that were kind of obnoxious. They're probably documented somewhere obvious, but I had no idea.

Some DVD drives do not read the OSX install discs on boot, and some versions (old) of DellEFI don't recognize my retail media at all. I tired different combos until i figured out what was up.

It could just be the drive. The behavior i saw was that when i put the DVD in and checked the bios boot list it didn't show up with a [+] next to it.

Also, when I manually selected the DVD rom at the "boot:" prompt it couldn't find any partitions on it.

I switched to the latest (1.2a?) of DellEFI and used a USB thumbdrive. This made sure the DVD rom wasn't an issue, and that DellEFI could see the USB partitions correctly.

This might be unrelated. :-P

« Wireless drops and won't reconnect. | System CMOS checksum bad after BT install HELP! »