Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#11) Old
Default 08-27-2009, 08:14 PM

At the risk of stating the obvious, and for the benefit of anyone finding this thread when searching for help with their own USB boot problems: you must have "Legacy USB" support enabled in the BIOS in order to be able to boot from USB.

White Mini 9 | 2GB Transcend RAM | 16GB RunCore | 16GB Patriot Class 6 SDHC | Internal BT | 1505 802.11n | BIOS A05 | OS X 10.5.8
Thinking of trying Dropbox? Use this referal link and we'll both get an extra 250MB of storage.
  (#12) Old
Send a message via AIM to Macobyte Send a message via Skype™ to Macobyte
Default 09-24-2009, 09:47 PM

You sir, just saved my day. My SSD died and I've been trying to reinstall my OS on my new one from Dell, and couldn't figure out why the computer wouldn't see my external optical drive. Forgot I had legacy USB support turned off. THANK YOU.

Next time you're in Auburn, Alabama, shoot me an email. I owe you a beer.

Mini9: 1.6GHz Atom / 2GB RAM / 64GB SSD / OS X 10.6.2 Snow Leopard
  (#13) Old
Default 09-27-2009, 05:31 PM

I'm having the same problem..
I used the thumbdrive install of ubuntu nbr, I played with it, its ok, but now I want to reinstall OSX.

I am using the SAME external dvd drive that i used the first time i installed it, the same boot disc, same usb port and cables, and legacy is turned on, but like the op of this thread, it only goes into linux, it wont even see the external drive to start boot123.

I don't know why it no longer sees the usb dvd drive and it's driving me nuts. I want to sell my 9 since i have a 10v now.

Any help would be appreciated.

« Wireless drops and won't reconnect. | System CMOS checksum bad after BT install HELP! »