Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default WiFi does not always connect with my home router - 11-02-2008, 09:45 PM

Here is the only real "issue" I have with my Mini 9, running the stock Dell XP install. When I ask it to connect to my home wireless router, nine times out of ten it will not. It associates, but gives up while getting an IP address. If I tell Windows to "repair" the connection, this usually (but not always) fixes the problem. It may take me three or four "repairs" to get it going. Once it gets the IP, it is rock solid.

The odd thing is that this router is the only one for which I have this problem, and no other WiFi devices I have show a similar problem with the router (an Actiontec provided by Verizon). I have a fixed IP set on the router for the Mini and there are no error messages - just a failed connection. I have tried it with maybe a dozen other routers and access points and never saw this issue.

If I hibernate while connected, it almost always reconnects on waking without issue.

I don't expect a resolution, but wondered if anyone else had seen something similar.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#2) Old
Default Re: WiFi does not always connect with my home router - 11-03-2008, 08:29 PM

yes but i have an Apple airport router. I have two macs and 5 dells other dells all working on it. the other dells were bought as used reconditioned models. they all worked without any problem using 26 digit wpa keyword. i have a new dell slim tower using Vista. (a Os i hate with reason by the way) and i never could get it to work. i just had to hardwire it. the other slim tower and 4 laptops all work without a skip. the Mini was stubborn. I paid premium assistance to set it up. since then the mini had a keyboard failure and went back. i was promised that premium assistance would set me up again for free. we will see. They added several apple for windows programs, but i think there is a better solution than that. It is a soft ware thing with the network that the router will not work with. every thing else says i am connected.

ken r

« Screen brightness when AC plugged in | Problem installing XP via External Drive »