Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#91) Old
Default 06-27-2009, 06:58 AM

Well usually when i watch vids from Youtube i had the same problem. The trick is that you have to let the vid load completely before watching. It works perfect for me and i only have 1 gig or ram.

Dell Mini 9:
-8 gig SSD
-8 gig SDHC
-My Book 500 gig External Harddrive
-Logitech V20 Speakers(Best notebook speakers ever!!)
  (#92) Old
Default 06-28-2009, 01:17 AM

meh ya but still flash playback in general sucks.... is there anyway to get around that?
  (#93) Old
Default 06-28-2009, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
so is there any way we can get this vlc plugin to work in windows like it magically does in windows.... or is there any other way we can get better flash playback?
The latest driver from Asus on GMA500 solved the Youtube problem. Standard quality video played smoothly on both normal screen and full screen. HQ video is still choppy on both normal and full screen.

Mini 12 | Atom Z530 | Windows XP Home
  (#94) Old
Default 06-28-2009, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by J.Mancine View Post
OK...finally some progress.

If I go to and try to play a video, it is choppy in Firefox, IE, and Chrome. But, if I extract the URL for that video and play it back in Media Player Classic or Windows Media Player, it plays PERFECTLY. No glitches whatsoever and full smooth framerate.

So, the question is WHY does the video play perfectly in MPC and WMP, but will simply not play in any browser, nor in the standalone Hulu Media Player program?

I think I'm almost there...
Thanks for the info about playing flash videos through media players - I hadn't tried that. I am running Ubuntu Netbook Remix and am having the same choppy flash problems, but now I can at least watch videos through my media player.
  (#95) Old
Default 07-06-2009, 11:51 PM

I too have been getting choppy videos from Youtube. I tried IE7, IE8, and Firefox and it didn't make a difference. Well one day, I decided to uncheck the "Compress drive to save disk space" setting which is set by default on the Mini 9 and EUREKA, that solved the choppy video problem! Now Youtube videos (SD only) play smoothly.
  (#96) Old
Default 07-14-2009, 07:24 AM

I decided to uncheck the "Compress drive to save disk space" setting
where do I find that please?
  (#97) Old
Default 07-14-2009, 10:15 AM

Right click on your hard drive in "My Computer" and click "Properties". It'll be on the first tab.
  (#98) Old
Default 07-17-2009, 01:26 AM

to all the people saying "just wait till the video loads", this is not the issue at all. Even after the video loads its choppy.

I've fixed it mostly, however its definately cpu related. Flash uses lots of cpu, I find using firefox and turning flash off with flashblocker, and only viewing the flash i want to watch makes it work better. In one window, you could have multiple flash videos working, and you could ahve mulitple tabs open. Sot his helps a lot.
However when the mini is running hot, the cpu slows down a lot and the flash is choppy again.

There are lots of things you can do, and most things in this thread are valid. However heat and cpu speed are flash killers.
  (#99) Old
Default 07-26-2009, 06:40 PM

I am glad to see people still workingon this, although not so happy it seems that no one has come up with a decent solution.

I posted about this quite a bit before and it seemed lots of people had no issuess with streaming hulu however lots did and it just doesn't make sense w2ith the same hardware...

I can't believe that it's network related as stuttering doesnt hapen due to lack of bandwitdh, you just see the buffering screen more often. What has been buffered will not stutter no matter how bad your connectino is. Simple test, pause until it buffers a bit and then play.

The most logical problem is thecpu. Whilte it's easy to blame a gpu for a video related problem, you need to remember that the decoding is done by the cpu and since the gpu can display 720p video from other formats with no problems, its not likely a gpu issue as the main work for a gpu in video playback (unless the gpu has a hardware encoder for a format like mpeg2) is just draing pixels on the screen which this can do handily.

It definitely seems cpu related however if thats the case it really doesnt explain why so many people can watch even hd streams when many of us have problems with even sd streams.

My guess is that those who have better luck must differ somewhere other than the cpu and that leaves the hd...

So those who are having no problem with playing hulu (plesae test for at least 5 to 10 minutes) can you post what hdds you have?

My suspicion is that those with smooth playback will probably not have the stock 8GB SSD or any other slow drives..
  (#100) Old
Default 09-11-2009, 11:33 PM

I just got my Dell Mini 10v (thought I'd post just incase even though it's not a 9) in the mail yesterday morning. I had a choppy video problem in YouTube and Hulu. To say the least it was more than distracting and videos seemed unwatchable. (Youtube low quality was fine)

I installed the K-Lite pack, and now Hulu, and Youtube work 100% perfect, even in HD, full-screen or not, either way is immaculate!

I also cleaned up my startup processes and disabled indexing, not sure if that has anything too do with it.

« bricking my mini | Batery not Charging »