Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Post Unusual Blue Screen Issue - 03-31-2009, 06:50 PM

This is a problem I have not encountered before. Just a few minutes ago, I got a blue screen. NOT the classic "Blue Screen of Death" that comes up on Windows machines, but a simple sky blue screen. No text. I could not get out of it--Ctrl-Alt-Del yielded no results and I had to restart. So far it seems fine after that, but it is an unusual problem.

For the last month I have noticed an occasional flicker on my screen; it happens rarely, and I haven't noticed any sort of pattern to it. But I thought of it when my screen went blue on me. I am thinking it could be related.

I am running Windows XP, and at that time I was running Google Chrome, Adobe Acrobat pdf reader, and Microsoft Works (sorry, really! but I am too cheap to put Office on, and OpenOffice is too memory-hungry). I had just tried to close Adobe, and that's when the screen went blue.

My resolution is the normal 1024 x 600 (don't know if this is significant, but I am trying to put any info here that is useful). The laptop is pretty much out-of-box; I haven't made any hardware changes.

Is my screen dying? Is the graphics chip bad?

If anyone has any ideas about this, that would be great! I did a Google search for this problem, and there is no info other than the blue screen of death.
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Unusual Blue Screen Issue - 04-01-2009, 03:05 AM

Do you think Acrobat Reader might have caused it? If it happens again when you are running Acrobat, you might consider uninstalling it and trying an alternative, like Foxit PDF Reader. That's what I've been using, and it works great. Small footprint, low on resources, and it's free. Link to Foxit
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Unusual Blue Screen Issue - 04-01-2009, 09:38 PM

OK, thanks. I guess it is a waiting game, since there are no immediate problems here. I don't like leaving loose ends but I won't learn anything unless it happens again. And if it doesn't then I can't complain.

« CD Boot Problem | Problem with memory upgrade »