I ordered a refurb and decided to thoroughly check it out before installing too many things. I found that the SSD
is faulty and Dell is sending me a new one. Here's what I did:
1) Get the Dell diagnostics utility from the driver download site.
2) Run the utility and choose to install it to a bootable USB drive (you just supply the drive, the utility makes it bootable)
3) Reboot, press 0 at the right time and choose to boot from the USB drive
4) Run the "hard disk" diagnostic and record the error codes it gives.
5) Contact Dell technical support via online chat. Explain exactly what you've done and the error codes you've recorded. When I did that, they immediately decided the SSD
was bad and initiated the procedure to send me a new one. I was very pleased how easy the online tech support worked out (on a Sunday!).
Hope that helps and that you get a quick resolution.