Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old

Default RESOLVED - Power OK...blank screen, can't boot up bios/winXP - 02-28-2009, 09:30 PM

EDIT: I found support instructions on the DELL Support Home Page. If you have this type of problem, look up: The Dellâ„¢ Mini Laptop Does Not Complete POST. I'm going through the troubleshooting process and will post the results.

Hi there,

I've had my mini 9 working for about a month, now it can't even get to the motherboard boot screen (with the Dell logo and the option to enter setup/boot options). Is there anything I can do before sending it back to Dell? Here is a timeline of events:

1) windows locking up when I access my SDHC card
2) must remove SDHC card to boot into windows (win installed on SSD)
3) Windows started locking up even without SDHC in the slot
4) Windows locked up and could not power off even when holding down power button. Had to remove battery to shut down.
5) turn on mini with both AC and battery, but now screen is totally blank. Power LED is lit so power is coming in. Tried with an external monitor to see if mini monitor is burnt out, external monitor does not work either.
6) Reinserted SSD to see if there is a connection problem, still have same problem as 5.

Thanks for your help!

Specs:
Mini 9, 8GB stock SSD, 2GB Corsair RAM, aDATA 16GB SDHC (set as 2nd HDD), Win XP Home

Mini-9 / 8gb SSD / 2gb Crucial RAM / 16gb aData SDHC / Win XP Home
  (#2) Old

Default Re: RESOLVED - Power OK...blank screen, can't boot up bios/winXP - 02-28-2009, 10:24 PM

Following support instructions, I removed the SSD, RAM and wireless card. Turned on the unit and heard 4 beeps. This means RAM is not installed or there is a problem with the RAM card/or connection. I reinstalled the RAM and heard 0 beeps. I guess this means the motherboard is faulty. I emailed tech support and am awaiting resonse. Most likely I'll have to send back the unit minus the SSD.

Sigh, this is my 2nd time having to ship back the unit (different problem)....hopefully this is the last!

(#3) Old

Default Re: RESOLVED - Power OK...blank screen, can't boot up bios/winXP - 03-01-2009, 12:55 PM

If I understand your post properly:
I don't think your motherboard is faulty, most likely the memory wasn't seated properly. I think four beeps is something like "first 64k memory missing or bad". Since it passes POST now with no beeps your motherboard should be good, and your mini 9 should be working.

mike.

Specs:
Mini 9, 32 GB Runcore SSD, ATT mercury broadband, 2 GB memory, Type 11 OSX
  (#4) Old

Default Re: RESOLVED - Power OK...blank screen, can't boot up bios/winXP - 03-14-2009, 05:05 PM

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply. I heard the 4 beeps when the ram was removed. When I put the ram back in, I heard 0 beeps. So the ram is ok.

Anyway, I received my mini back from the service depot a few days ago. They replaced the motherboard and all is working fine again. Now my aData 16gb sdhc is acting up, but that's a different story!

(#5) Old

Default 10-09-2009, 11:59 PM

Sorry to revive an old post, but did it turn out to be the mobo afterall? I'm having the exact same issue. RAM out, 4 beeps, RAM in, no beeps. Can't get to BIOS Post screen.

Did DELL repair for free? Anyone else have this problem? Let me know. Thanks!
  (#6) Old

Default 08-28-2010, 10:56 AM

Hi guys sorry to reopen a VERY old post but I am having the same problem and it was unclear from this post if the issue was resolved by the new mother board or Dell support did something else.

My symptoms are

No RAM 4 beeps
No SSD but with RAM no beeps
When system turned on it flashes white then goes black
No BIOS
No POST

I've tried also flashbios 1.52 with no effect
I've tried to book from USB but nothing
Searched net but nothing on instructions to resolve

Want to know one way or another if it is the Motherboard or not. If so then machine might not be worth fixing and will use for spares.

Anyone help??
  (#7) Old

Default 08-29-2010, 06:14 PM

I experienced the same thing this morning: power light, nothing else. I removed the memory and got the 4 beeps mentioned above (actually 2-2). This makes it seem like the memory is OK, and the problem lies el$ewhere.

However, I tried another memory stick and it came up fine. So, I've got bad memory and it's an easy/cheap fix.

So, the moral of the story for me is no beeps does not necessarily mean good memory.
  (#8) Old

Default 05-16-2013, 09:31 AM

I have the same problem. When i remove RAM it sounds 4 beep. I tried another RAM but still black screen. Is there anything else to try? Maybe i nedd new motherboard?

« Dell Mini 9 won't switch on!!!! Brand New | Help Please!! Dell Mini 910 can't flash BIOS »