Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default Front microphone active with webcam??? - 02-18-2009, 02:39 PM

I have a Dell mini 9 with a webcam and am using XP. I have noticed that when I'm video chatting with someone they can hear loud noises as I type on my keyboard. I believe this problem is due to the analog microphone on the front (underside) of the mini being active.

I was under the impression that the analog mic wasn't present on minis that had a webcam installed. That's what it says here: I have confirmed that this mic is active, as my voice gets louder as I move my mouth to this mic, while moving my mouth towards the webcam actually causes my voice to get softer.

I haven't found a way yet in XP to mute the front mic and turn on the webcam microphones. Anyone know how to do this in XP?

If I open up my mini and disconnect the analog mic, will the dual mics that come with the webcam automatically start working? Or will I need to reinstall my webcam drivers?

If anyone has any experience with this or any knowledge about this at all, I would appreciate your input before I start disassembling and disconnecting cables in my mini.

Thank you!
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Front microphone active with webcam??? - 02-18-2009, 03:37 PM

Oddly enough, I noticed the very same thing last night. I hadn't noticed it before, in fact I was pretty confident that the webcam mic worked in MSN video call. However, on reflection I have done a reinstall since then and a the webcam is supported straight off in XP, I haven't yet installed the drivers.

I will reinstall the drivers tonight and see what effect that has...

Dell Mini 9: Obsidian Black | A05 | Win7 / OS X 10.5.6 Dual Boot | DellEFI 1.1 | 2GB RAM | 64GB RunCore 70mm SSD | 4GB SDHC | Vodafone HSPA | 0.3mP webcam
Dell Mini 9: Obsidian Black | as above except: XP Pro SP3 | 250GB USB HDD
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Front microphone active with webcam??? - 02-18-2009, 06:17 PM

To mute the microphone volume in WindowsXP, go to Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices -> Audio tab, and click on the Volume button, in the middle section named Sound Recording.

« FIXED...What the heck am I doing wrong...USB CD Boot | SSD is too slow »