Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#11) Old

Default Re: wireless works but not direct ethernet plug in - 01-31-2009, 12:45 AM

You may want to check with your ISP whether their cablemodem device has a time delay before it will allow a new MAC address to be connected to it. NTL in the UK had such a limitation, and once you connected with an interface that MAC address was the only one that could be used for the next 24 hrs.

Failing that, have you also tried physically turning the cablemodem off for a minute than back on again, as it may even be a soft config thing.

Also what (out of interest) is the IP address you believe you're being given? I've noticed machines set themselves an IP address that is actually wrong, when they didn't get allocated a proper address by DHCP in sufficient time. May just want to check that too. I think they're addresses beginning 168.x.x.x instead of the more popular 192.168.x.x values (recalling from memory).
  (#12) Old

Default Re: wireless works but not direct ethernet plug in - 01-31-2009, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog
I've noticed machines set themselves an IP address that is actually wrong, when they didn't get allocated a proper address by DHCP in sufficient time. May just want to check that too. I think they're addresses beginning 168.x.x.x instead of the more popular 192.168.x.x values (recalling from memory).
169.254.x.x is used for self-assigned (not DHCP) addresses. Usually indicates a problem.
  (#13) Old

Default Re: wireless works but not direct ethernet plug in - 01-31-2009, 04:55 PM

In my situation, the IP address is being assigned by my router. 192.168.0.x, same format as the other 4 computers, 2 wireless printers, and NAS on my network. The only other thing I noticed when I was running both the wireless and wired connections at the same time. was that the router would think one of the connections was spoofing the other. Same MAC address for both I guess?

I'm pretty sure I tried disabling wireless and rebooting into the wired connection with no improvement. I guess it's possible the router is doing something strange because it remembers that the Mini's MAC address was associated with a different IP address earlier on. Maybe that could cause the delay. I'll test that out by restarting the router and hopefully making it "forget" about the Mini's wireless connection and start fresh with the wired connection.
  (#14) Old

Default Re: wireless works but not direct ethernet plug in - 01-31-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Marmot
Same MAC address for both I guess?
Well, they are different interfaces, and so will have different hardware MAC addresses, unless the drivers set them to be identical (that would be weird). /sbin/ifconfig will show the MAC addresses and the IP addresses. Since you are ssh'ing into the Mini, sounds like it might be a routing problem in the router.
  (#15) Old

Default Re: wireless works but not direct ethernet plug in - 01-31-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhalbert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Marmot
Same MAC address for both I guess?
Well, they are different interfaces, and so will have different hardware MAC addresses, unless the drivers set them to be identical (that would be weird). /sbin/ifconfig will show the MAC addresses and the IP addresses. Since you are ssh'ing into the Mini, sounds like it might be a routing problem in the router.
Yeah, 2 MAC addresses.

I'm not sure what the issue is then. My router works fine for ssh with all the other machines on the network. Heck, it even works fine with the Mini when the wired connection isn't used. shrug

I don't intend to use the wired interface normally anyway, so I guess it's not a big deal. Next time I'm at my friend's house I'll try out the wired connection on his router to see if it works better there.
  (#16) Old

Default Re: wireless works but not direct ethernet plug in - 02-01-2009, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somms
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=6&PFid=6&Level=5& Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Confirm you are running latest Realtek NIC driver for the Mini...

just downloaded it - and i have no idea how to install it. No "installer" program etc.
  (#17) Old

Default Re: wireless works but not direct ethernet plug in - 02-01-2009, 07:45 PM

If you are using windows xp and you get an ip address with your wireless nic and not with the wired one then it probably means that your ethernet adapter is disabled. Go to Device Manager under the System Properties and enable the Ethernet Adapter. It will be the one with the X on it. I noticed on my wife's mini last night that the ethernet adapter was disabled while the wireless one was enabled. She hadn't disabled the adapter, it had just come like that. I hope this helps out.
  (#18) Old

Default Re: wireless works but not direct ethernet plug in - 02-02-2009, 04:25 AM

I see I am not the only one with this problem.
My initial Internet connection had successfully been thru wireless, but at work, I decided to use a wired DSL line. Everything was working fine for a couple of weeks, but all of a sudden one day it stopped working. I thought it may have been the DSL service, but I ran diagnostics, recycling the modem and routers, etc. I had other computers available to test. I put a Toshiba laptop onto the same DSL line (same CAT5 cable) and it worked. My Mini9 did not.

I am concluding that it has to do with the Mini9, and not the network equipment. I am at home right now, typing this on my Ubuntu Mini9 thru my wireless network.

Mini9, Obsidian, 1.3Mp, 1Gb, 32Gb SSD, 8Gb SDHC, Bluetooth, Ibex 8.10
  (#19) Old

Default Re: wireless works but not direct ethernet plug in - 02-03-2009, 02:33 AM

Ok, Still doesn't work

- Realtek RL8102E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet is now updated to

-Bluetooth LAN Enabled (works)
-Realtek LAN Enabled (does not work)
-Wireless Enabled (works)

using /cmd and ipconfig,

Autoconfiguration IP Address 169.254.119.210
Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0

Still doesn't work

Help?
  (#20) Old

Default Re: wireless works but not direct ethernet plug in - 02-03-2009, 05:07 AM

That's the bad self-assigned (not DHCP) address.

Do you normally have wired connections to your router, and are they usually over DHCP or static addressing?

My router does DHCP for wireless but static IP for wired, so I won't have issues of that kind. Perhaps that will work better for you too. Also if you're firewalling your machine and sticking with DHCP, don't firewall the DHCP ports (67 UDP for the inbound), though chances are you'd have that configured equally for both wired and wireless network interfaces anyway.

« terrible stec transfer rates windows 7 | WTF Ram »