Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default Dell Mini 9 Hard Drive problem? - 08-31-2013, 05:01 PM

I have boot up my Dell Mini ready to use it in the morning such as checking emails and weather. About 30 minutes after I boot up the computer just blue screen and saying operating system not found. I had windows xp installed from a portable cd drive.

I spent about 2 hours trying to boot it and taking out the SSD and putting it back in many times. About the 10th time it booted and I had a mad dash to save all my files from the hard drive before it crashes again.

Now in the Computer BIOS it does not say the normal STEC name but it does say CTEC PATA. As of this time I can not install a operating system at all due to the hard drive.

Thanks for the help.

---------- Post added at 10:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 AM ----------

By the way it is a 8GB hard drive.

After messing with the hard have for 30 Minutes it now reads 7000mb from BIOS out of the 8gb.

Last edited by cd8000; 08-31-2013 at 05:44 PM.
  (#2) Old
Default 09-01-2013, 10:57 PM

The SSD is failing. You're lucky you were able to get it to boot at all. It happens. You can buy a replacement SSD, making sure you get one that is explicitly stated as for the Dell Mini 9. It is likely that the contents of your current SSD are lost.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old
Default 09-02-2013, 05:14 AM

I was literally going oh crap. I had some of my important word documents still left there as I got too tired from the night before to back it up. I then had the quickest thinking of oh man I got to save everything before it dies again! Lucky me that I was able to back everything up and once I turned it off the hard drive literally was dead. I was freaking out the whole time backing everything up. I was like come on come on!
  (#4) Old
Default 09-27-2013, 08:11 PM

I got a new ssd hdd 16 gb for my mini from here very good price & service
Dell Inspiron 9 910 Mini STEC SSD Reset Service

« how to downgrade BIOS | mini9/ extended battery source? »