Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Send a message via Yahoo to Dr Some-what Evil
Smile Mini-9 STEC 8 and 16 gig repair - 12-17-2012, 06:48 AM

I have not been here in many, many moons so if this is already posted, just have a admin erase it and move on about the daily flow.

I gave my netbook to my mom who has been using it to play games (spider solitare) and read books / stories online. I knew the battery was failing because of the issue with the power switching from the outlet to the battery while plugged in and the only way to cure that is to purchase and install a new motherboard.

The SSD recently acted like it had given up the ghost and was gone, dead....or so I thought. Until I came across this article detailing setting up a bootable pen/thumb drive with specific software to repair the STEC 8 and 16 gig drives IF they truly were not dead.

Punj Technology blog: Dell mini Inspiron 910 - STEC SSD repair faulty disk

The only change I would and did make is to copy only the contents of the unzipped "stecssdutil" folder to the drive and not the whole folder then just type in at the prompt "mcru004.exe" and press enter. The DOS boot environment should see and open the (.exe) file without a problem. Let it finish its job and then if it has no errors your set to reformat and reinstall your favorite OS. If errors are present, you need to start looking for a replacement and given MY personal experience with STEC drives, ( maybe I just got a good one) I will continue to stick with it until something truly better comes along.

BTW ... I accomplished all of this using a 1 gig pen/thumb drive.

STEC 8 gig SSD
RAM 2Gig 800Mhz.
WWAN parts in place
Fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Gigabyte b,g & n WiFi card that works
Sony DVD ROM/CD burner in slimline external case
Planned upgrades; 16 gig STEC SSD, Internal Bluetooth and Black Lid

« Nonworking Drivers in XP | Bad Charger »