Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default New ssd and usb dvd - 08-28-2012, 12:05 AM

Been away from the mini for a while but I now have an application for it so purchased a new pata 32 gb ssd for it and a USB dvd/cd drive. Naturally there is nothing on the new drive so I am trying to boot a windows 7 install cd from the usb drive. Legacy support is enabled but I am not getting any connection to the drive. Drive seems to power up ok, light flashes etc but nothing happens, flashing dash on the screen. POST is ok. New drive ssd is recognized in the bios. Shows 32 gb free.
Any ideas?

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

Well fixed my own problem, seems that the issue was how long I was away! Battery was dead and the power adapter did not have enough juice to charge the battery and read and write from the usb dvd drive. Removed the battery and just ran on the charger. Installation of windows 7 will proceed after the drive is formatted.
  (#2) Old
Default 08-30-2012, 04:55 PM

I have found that the Mini series USB ports can't supply enough power for most USB optical drives.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« Dell Mini 9 Issue installing Win XP from Restre CD | 802.11 a/b/g wireless adapter not found dell mini 9 »