Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default StarTech 2 Port Mini PCIe to 2 Sata II no recognized - 08-17-2012, 12:10 AM

Hey, I've been using my mini9 as a low power server and bought one of these.. - StarTech 2 Port Mini PCI Express Internal SATA II Controller Card Model MPEXSATA22I
to add 2 sata harddrive to my mini9. It has a Sil-3132 chip in it which is known to have issues with some Optiplex computers, they used to not be recognized by the bios. I believe Dell issued a fix for some of the Optiplex bios' and the chips are not recognized.

I installed the card into my mini9's wlan slot but it is not being recognized by the bios. I first tried on A06 then updated to A07 relizing there was a newer bios out. I am guessing older bios wont work but am willing to try A04/A05 if anyone still has a dos/windows version for me to flash.

I am not sure what to do from here. I am no longer under any warranty so I don't think I can call/email Dell. I also tried commenting of their community forum but couldn't get a community account setup (some bug with their website). I do have my account and service tag so I might be able to email someone, just not sure who (and if their really willing to create a new bios to fix my fringe situation)

I bought the card from Amazon so I should be able to return it for my $46 but I'd like to spend a few days seeing if I can get it working before returning it.

Hope to resolve this soon cause I don't want to have wasted $46. Thanks for any help

Last edited by josh4trunks; 08-17-2012 at 12:17 AM.
  (#2) Old
Default 08-20-2012, 12:53 AM

I don't know that the SATA pins on the WLAN slot are wired up to anything useful. As far as I know, the only place it looks for a bootable disk is the SSD slot (which may be a MiniPCIe connector but it is custom wired for PATA.)

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old
Default 08-20-2012, 12:55 AM

I don't need sata, I need PCIe. This card has a Si3132 Controller. It is just a bug with some Dell Mobo's and this controller. anyway, gonna return the card to amazon, and use my Dell Mini 9 as a server for something other than files.

« dell mini 9 DC power jack replacement | Dell Mini 9 Issue installing Win XP from Restre CD »