Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default Bottom of screen missing - 06-21-2012, 04:24 PM

when my mini 9 is turned on, the dell logo is closer to the bottom of the screen than the middle. When XP starts to load that logo is also at the bottom. When windows has loaded there is about 20% of the screen missing, the top and sides are fine but you are unable to see the start button and toolbar. When i connect a second display via the vga and set the output to clone, the 2nd display is perfect and the full screen is 100% visable! Any ideas guys?? Bios is A07. To me it seems like the device thinks it has more screen than that is actually there ... when you go in the bios it displays the same with the approx 20% still missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
  (#2) Old
Default 06-29-2012, 10:19 PM

Did your resolution for your screen get changed from 1024 x 600 ?

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |
  (#3) Old
Default 07-02-2012, 07:19 PM

My name is Latha and I work for the Social Media and Community Team at Dell.

Checking display with external monitor is a good step to identify if LCD on laptop is working fine or not, looks like the screen has gone bad as external monitor display is fine.
To confirm the same please check these steps.
1> Turn off the system and unplug all the connections and take the battery out. Hold down the power button for 10 seconds.
2> With battery and adapter plugged in turn on the system and immediately keep tapping the 2 key on keyboard which will access system bios screen. Please check the display quality here.
3> Turn on the system and tap 0 Key on keyboard which will access boot menu or diagnostics screen and complete the diagnostics. Check the display quality during the diagnostics.
If the display quality of the screen is the same as you mentioned then it is problem with LCD.

Thanks & Regards
Dell Social Media Responder
  (#4) Old
Default 07-02-2012, 08:10 PM

Since you say that the BIOS display shows the same problem, either the LCD panel (or its electronics) have gone bad, or perhaps the cable that runs from the display to the mainboard has gotten kinked so one of the conductors is broken. This is pretty hard to diagnose on your own. How much money are you willing to throw at the problem? Replacement displays are available.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« Issue with a Dell Mini 9 | REAL Resolution Fix »