Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default Is my SSD dead? - 04-05-2012, 10:05 PM

Ok, I think my SSD is dead but I want to be absolutely sure before I do anything.

My mini9 crashed, I guess, I wasn't the one using it at the time, several weeks ago. When starting up it makes it to the Windows XP logo, the one over black with the blue loading bar thing under it. It sits there a minute then restarts. It's stuck in this loop forever.

I tried repairing and it froze on "examining startup environment", same on reinstall. I tried multiple Windows discs and even an old version of Ubuntu, same deal. I ran every hardware test I could find on the disc from Dell that was included and on the Ubuntu distro and everything checked out ok. But I can't seem to alter the drive in any way, I'm afraid it's dead.

The warranty expired a year and a half ago. I called Dell and the guy let me explain the problem, suggested it might be a software issue and that troubleshooting would be $59. I was hoping they'd offer to replace the SSD.

So does anyone have any further suggestions, is there any hope, or have I already exhausted every option and need to give up and buy a new SSD?
  (#2) Old
Default 04-06-2012, 03:28 PM

I have seen this symptom reported here a lot. You might try the method listed in the sticky topic in this forum section, but don't get your hopes up. If you have the original STEC SSD, then a "secure erase" might help. Try the methods shown at How to securely erase an SSD drive | How To - CNET

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old
Default 04-17-2012, 02:38 AM

Thanks for the help but that didn't work either. I assume that's a last resort option anyway? I'm about to order a new SSD...

« Windows 7 Starter N 3G Wont Work | Unable to change boot sequence using f5/f6 »