Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default new xp install with new 64GB AMP SSD - 11-30-2011, 01:00 AM

I purchased the active media products N64G-HMPCIE2 for my dell mini 9. I of course had to reload XP HOME SP3. All seems to be "working" but it horribly slow and many times unresponsive, that being said when its "working" it is much faster then the stock 16gb drive.

I started from fresh install from a USB, put on all dell drivers in order recommended, defragged the crap out of the drive (zero fragmented files), nice clean page file and still get unresponse / slow performance.

Performance example - start IE, blank screen for 10-20 seconds bam page loaded, select search box hangs and can't type (mouse still works), 5-10 seconds goes by and I can finally type.

when working great I can have onenote mappoint, IE, chrome and explorer all up and running navigating between all and doing stuff but, seems great, then I lose the ability to type for a few seconds in onenote for example

To get it up to date with windows updates I basically had to leave it running for 3 nights straight, excruciately slow

The downfall is I cannot determine if its this flavor of the OS causing the performance issues or the SSD.

(#2) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 11-30-2011, 01:46 AM

my vote is for the SSD being the culprit of the slowness...

PS. Welcome to the forum...

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#3) Old
Default 11-30-2011, 03:54 AM

Thanks, of course I was hoping it wasn't since it wasn't cheap, do you know of any tweaks,tuning parameters, operating systems that might work better with it? All the speed checks say it faster then stock

(#4) Old
Default 12-11-2011, 03:15 AM

Could it be a program bogging the system down? I know I tried 7 Starter on my Mini at first and it ran absolutely horribly. I then got a trimmed down version and it's a difference of night and day! (and that is with Areo running too) These mini 9's seem to like Ubuntu pretty well. Perhaps load a copy and see if it runs any better?

« SSD hardware differences | my 8gb SSD wont initialize »