Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default install browser only? - 10-29-2011, 05:12 PM

I have been working on this for a month, searched and searched this forum, and the ubuntu help forum, but I am still stuck.

I have a dell mini 910, it went down once before. I came here and searched the forum and followed step by step to reinstall windows and drivers. After following instructions on how to reinstall drivers, It worked.

My mini went down again and again I searched the forum, and attempted to reinstall windows from a cd. I can get into the bios, I can tell it to boot from a disk ( I have a usb disk drive) my screen will show processer detected, RAM passed. It installs but then when it goes to start up windows, I get a blue screen with an error message. After googling the error message, I gave up.

I attempted to install ubuntu 10 from a cd. I got error messages. After searching the forums at unbuntu help, I gave up.

I then attempted to install ubuntu 11 from a cd. I can not get past the screen after name password ect. that shows online check, plugged to power source check, at least 4.4 GB available X. Then I can not press continue.

I can however turn on my wireless and use Try Ubuntu to go online and browse the internet with mozzilla. I had to go into system and install additional drivers to get the wireless to work.

If my computer is fryied and useless why am I able to install drivers and go online and use the browser ? I have no tec knowledge at all, nada, zip. I have no idea what I am doing.

Is it possible to just do a partial install for a web browser? So I can at least go online and do web based email, If I can not get any OS to load ? With these clues can anyone guess at what might be going wrong?

Thank you for any and all suggestions.

UPDATE: I discovered my SSD is Fried. I I found a 2 gb USB stick I had, I just put UBUNTU on it and used it to get my Wifi and browser up. Not practicle to lug around a cd drive with my mini, but a USB stick is ok. I can browse online and use my web based email, thats all I ever do with the mini anyway.

If anyone has any other suggestions for me, let me know, but I am ok with this option.

Last edited by reddellmini; 10-29-2011 at 07:11 PM. Reason: SOLVED
  (#2) Old
Default 10-29-2011, 09:38 PM

Sounds to me like you are a pretty good problem solver. Way to go!

Isn't it great that Ubuntu lets you do what you really want. Booting from you USB stick however,is rather slow. Maybe you could find a small SSD which would let you boot up in less than a minute. My 4GB SSD is rather slow & I still boot to internet connection in less than 60 seconds.

I am not sure I would recommend spending much as laptops are very low cost now & Black Friday should give some even better deals, just plan on getting up really early. I just spent $55 on a new battery & that is about the max that I wanted to spend even though I really like my Mini 9.

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |
  (#3) Old
Default 10-30-2011, 12:00 AM

Well I am persistant ! LOL, thanks for taking the time to reply, I will look over the black friday specials, I had forgetten about them. I did not know the SSD came in 4 GB, that should be sufficent for my needs. Thanks for the tip.

This site is full of great information. Even with all the tablets out, I still like my mini for travel. I just like having my keyboard. I might go with the Dell Duo. I will check out that part of the forum.

« Dell Mini 9 - Bios Problem | retieving data from dead SSD »