Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default Dell Mini 9 - STEC 16 GB SSD crashed - 10-10-2011, 04:50 PM

Hi All,

My 16 GB STEC SSD of Dell Mini 9 crashed few days back. I read in some forums that there are some STEC utilities / firmware updates that can restore the SSD. Can someone let me know where can I find such updates and how can I run that on the SSD which is already crashed? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  (#2) Old
Default Another case of hard 16 GB disk failure on Mini 9. - 10-21-2011, 06:13 AM

I have also experienced a H/D failure similar to the one posted above. After a normal shutdown, machine responded with "Cannot find Operating System", followed by a message that seemed to imply that the BIOS was incorrect, then the dreaded Stationary Flashing Cursor appeared.

Using the diagnostic CD gave the following;
Error Code 0F00:0242
Msg: Disk_0 - Block0 Read Error, Replace Disk

HDD Failed Confidence test, Read Test. Seek Test and Verify Test. Passed Device Quick Test, SMART Short Self Test and Smart Test.

Using the Reinstall CD, the reinstallation proceeds only so far as to load the non-GUI part of Windows XP. Then is says that it cannot find the C: Drive and will not use the C: RamDrive which it somehow created and called C:

Using FIXMBR seemed to prevent some of the earlier cryptic messages but otherwise it was useless.

Does all of this mean that I will be buying a replacement SSD H/D? If so, can I put a 32GB in the same space?

Last edited by JGG; 10-21-2011 at 06:08 PM.

« suddenly no charge and ssd read-only but ok via USB | Dell Mini 9 - Bios Problem »