Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default integrated camera / webcam - 01-20-2009, 02:04 PM

the integrated webcam only works using the dell provided "dell webcam central" software. It won't work with Live Messeger....messenger gives a "We couldn't start your camera device. Please check that your camera is not currently in use by another program, and then try again. " Yes, running XP. Not able to run the Live Messenger audio/video setup for similar reason.

Any idea how to have dell webcam central let go or share the webcam with other software?
  (#2) Old
Location: Originally Ganinesville, Fl but currently Tokyo, Japan
Default Re: intetrated camera / webcam - 01-20-2009, 02:42 PM

I am not sure about your particular case with live messenger however, other programs work. skype works. On OSX skype, ichat, photobooth(laggy) works.

(#3) Old
Default Re: intetrated camera / webcam - 01-20-2009, 07:27 PM

Thank you. Skype works. Now I need to get others to move away from the ms product.
  (#4) Old
Default Re: intetrated camera / webcam - 01-21-2009, 12:01 PM

We have two Mini 9's and use Windows Live as a video communication source. No problems connecting or setting up the camera/audio. The only issue that we have and are still working to resolve is that my wife's Mini occasionally emits a beeping sound when she is webcamming with our daughter/granddaughter. It almost seems to be a feedback issue. It doesn't occur on my Mini. Anyway, Windows Live Messenger works fine for us. I did disable the Dell Webcam Chat app so that it doesn't automatically start with Windows. It may be that Dell Chat is hijacking your webcam and not permitting it to work with Windows Live. Just a thought. Good luck.
  (#5) Old
Default Re: intetrated camera / webcam - 01-27-2009, 04:35 AM

finally got it answered and fixed....issue caused by mcafee. See the fix here

Due to changes in the new version of Live Messenger 2009 (v14), you may be unable to use the webcam and video conferencing features when SiteAdvisor is installed.

McAfee is aware of this issue, and is working toward a resolution.

As a workaround, McAfee recommends configuring SiteAdvisor to stop monitoring Live Messenger.

Navigate to the following folder:

Windows XP/2000/Vista (32-bit): C:\Program Files\McAfee\SiteAdvisor

Windows Vista (64-bit): C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\SiteAdvisor

Right-click on the file sasets.ini and choose Open With, then select Notepad.
Locate the section titled [msnmsgr.exe].
Change Enabled=1 to Enabled=0.
Click File and select Save.
Close sasets.ini and restart your computer for changes to take effect.

« Sending my Mini9 to Dell Depot- questions | Slow file copying after download in IE7 »