Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default Install issue with XP on new 64GB RunCore Pro IV Light 50mm PCI-e SSD - 03-07-2011, 02:53 PM

I am hoping to get some feedback regarding an issue with installing Windows XP on a new Runcore SSD.

I installed the new SSD and connected my external CD drive to the mini with the Dell reinstallation CD.

It booted up right away and after going through some initial set-up, I received the following error message:

Setup was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged. Make sure the drive is switched on and properly connected to your computer. if the disk is a SCSI disk, make sure your SCSI devices are properly terminated. Consult your computer manual or SCSI adapter documentation for more information. You must select a different partition for Windows XP. To continue, press enter.

The disk had no exisiting partitions and I did not create one.

This is my first time upgrading hardware, but I am confident I installed it correctly. Is there something else I was supposed to do prior to installing XP?

If it is the hardware, is there a way to check to see of the system is even recognizing the new drive?

(#2) Old
Default 03-07-2011, 03:37 PM

I don't see that you did anything wrong. Reboot and go into the BIOS setup - does the BIOS report that the SSD is there and has the correct size? You may want to try reseating the SSD in the socket.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old
Default 03-18-2011, 04:38 AM

This is a fool proof method: Download this Knoppix live CD:
If you need to run it from a USB drive, you can do that too:
Install Knoppix 6 to a USB Flash Drive in Windows | USB Pen Drive Linux

Basically, it's a linux live system that boots up, detects your hardware, installs drivers, runs the system from ram, then kicks you into a READY TO USE desktop. All this from a CD or USB drive WITHOUT touching the system drive. VERY slick setup.

Once it boots up you have a full web browser, word processer, media player, and access to all of the hard drives on the system.

Once you get the desktop open look for a program in the start menu called "Gparted". This is a simple hard drive partitioning software. You can use it to check your hard drives and actually make an initial Fat32 partition so Windows has an easier way to get in.

Knoppix is also VERY useful for alot of other stuff like information recovery from a dying system or hard drive. I would HIGHLY recommend setting up a USB drive with it for future use even if you find a way around using it right now. It's been one of the most powerful tools Ive had for PC repair/diagnoses since it doesn't need a running Windows system to work.
  (#4) Old
Default Use Windows 7 instead of XP - 03-18-2011, 10:01 PM

I just bought a 64gb SSD from mydigitaldiscount, I had to buy a Super Talent because they had no Runcore in stock. Anyhow, I just wasted about 25 hours trying to get this to work. After reading through enough forums, it seemed like advice that XP has problems formatting the SSD properly might be the issue. I got Windows 7 Ultimate, set the BIOS to boot from an external CD drive (very easy, I recommend to use it) and then the installation was very easy.

FYI I actually got XP loaded by using Norton Ghost and a copy of a 16gb Dell Mini hard drive (recently lost that Mini 9 by leaving it on an airplane). After loading this way, the notebook was so slow it was unusable. I tried a new XP install and that was able to load, but never actually fast enough to work.

If nothing else works, try Windows 7, after wasting 2 days trying all kinds of approaches and reading these forums, this solved my problem immediately. FYI Windows 7 is far faster than XP

« Dead Mini 9 - 1 long beep & 2 short | Inspiron 910 won't boot and can't load new OS »