Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default No Operating System Found - 03-02-2011, 12:52 PM

Hiya, Quick question? When I turn on my dell mini.. It will not load Windows. It says:

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cablePXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.Operating system not found.
I was working on the netbook fine then suddenly it blue screened so I shut it down and when I turned it back on this happened

I am assuming I have a problem with the solid state drive. If I buy a new one. How do I get windows back on it..? And is that it? Have I lost everything on that hard drive..? Thanks
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 03-02-2011, 02:47 PM

what does it show in the BIOS, does it recognize the SSD?..what size does it show?...if it says 0mb then the SSD has probably died..from the symptoms it sounds like it has died can reload windows from either your Dell Restore CD/DVD or a licensed Windows Install CD/DVD...both need to be loaded from either an external CD/DVD drive or a bootable USB flashdrive (make sure to enable "Legacy USB" in the BIOS 1st)...and to answer your last question...yes it sounds like you may have lost everything....

BTW: I found this for you too...
I have seen a number of occasions where the bios for some reason switches to PXE boot even though there's a valid hard disk set up and a bootable disk; the PXE boot can end up being selected in the bios. I would check - you go into the bios, and for the NIC entry select the "ON (PXE off)" setting rather than OFF or ON; and go into the boot sequence screen and make sure PXE boot is removed from the boot options.
I am not sure of the Mini 9 has this option in the BIOS or not but you can check it

The other answer I found is as I said previously....
The short story on this error is congratulations you have killed your hard drive and there is no way to boot from it now

Aka Hard Drive is DEAD, Not Formatted or has no boot partition active.

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case

Last edited by rrfranczak3; 03-02-2011 at 02:58 PM.
  (#3) Old
Default 03-02-2011, 11:52 PM

This happens to me now and then, just select 0 on boot and select your HDD as your boot drive. If that doesn't work, you can do some more...risky things that I'll save until you've found that pressing 0 doesnt work on boot. Good Luck!
  (#4) Old
Default 03-03-2011, 03:15 AM

In many cases "Operating system not found" is quite a benign problem. And non-bootable drive does not necessarily mean loss of any data. Try to boot your system from any external drive - USB stick, USB Optical/Floppy/Hard drive etc. and check data on your internal drive first. If data is OK - the only thing you need to do is to restore MBR (master boot record). I believe there is a simple and legal way to make a bootable USB flash drive with Windows 7.

As for me, I often see exact message when I mess up with my chain of boot-loaders: Chameleon->GRUB, but dual boot is entirely different beast.

Mini 10v, BIOS A06, OS X 10.6.6, Linux-Mint, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD

no operating system found

« Is this a Bios password protected issue or something else? | Weird keyboard issue »