Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old
bklaas bklaas is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 4
Join Date: Dec 2008
Unhappy Battery won't charge with A00/A03/A04/A05 - 01-31-2011, 09:30 PM

A few months ago I purchased an 8-cell after market battery for my Mini9 to replace the 3 cell stock version that had died. It appeared to work fine for the first few uses, and I was able to fully discharge and recharge the battery.

The Mini9 hadn't been used for several weeks and I plugged it in to boot up. Now I get the flashing LED/"your battery is not recognized" error from the BIOS that is well known on these forums. I was running A05 BIOS at the time, and the common advice that I've found is to downgrade to either A04 or A00.

I've now flashed to A00, A03, A04, and A05 (and confirmed in each case that the BIOS updated correctly), and all have the same behavior: battery is not recognized and system will not boot. Is there anything else I've missed trying here?

This is the battery I purchased:
Amazon.com: Extended Capacity Laptop Battery for Dell Inspiron Mini 9, Inspiron 910 laptop, umpc 8.9" Series replace for W953G series (Black, 8cells, 4800mAh): Electronics

If you have specific information about this battery not being compatible, please advise.

cheers,
#!/ben

btw, I had a heck of a time locating the FlashBIOS utility for doing this via a USB stick (I'm on Ubuntu on the Mini9 and installing BIOS via Windows is not an option). The utility is linked all over the place, but to a torrent link which did not work.

After many hours of searching, I did find a copy for http download that worked great here:
Teh Blarg How To Downgrade Dell Mini 9 BIOS to A00 From A04 or A05
Reply With Quote
  (#2) Old
rrfranczak3 rrfranczak3 is offline
Super Moderator
 
rrfranczak3's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,902
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Upstate New York, U.S of A.
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 02-03-2011, 02:55 AM

bottom line is that these Minis DO NOT like aftermarket batteries....some work...most do not......I always buy direct from Dell...but thats just me......Good Luck


Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
Reply With Quote
  (#3) Old
daveola daveola is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1
Join Date: Apr 2009
Default 05-22-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklaas View Post
It appeared to work fine for the first few uses, and I was able to fully discharge and recharge the battery...The Mini9 hadn't been used for several weeks and I plugged it in to boot up. Now I get the flashing LED/"your battery is not recognized" error from the BIOS
I had this same thing happen. Bought an 8 cell battery, it worked fine, then I put my Mini10 in storage a few months and now I get the battery not recognized. Too late to get a refund/exchange.

Perhaps the problem happens when the battery gets completely and totally discharged from sitting too long? Wonder if I could find some way to put enough of a charge on it to see.
Reply With Quote
  (#4) Old
serbezano serbezano is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1
Join Date: May 2011
Default 05-23-2011, 10:13 AM

Same problem,flashing LED/"your battery is not recognized",is this a battery issue?
Reply With Quote
  (#5) Old
rrfranczak3 rrfranczak3 is offline
Super Moderator
 
rrfranczak3's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,902
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Upstate New York, U.S of A.
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 05-23-2011, 01:00 PM

did anybody bother to read my post above?


Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
Reply With Quote
  (#6) Old
holmes4 holmes4 is offline
Administrator
 
holmes4's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,170
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Hampshire
Default 05-23-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrfranczak3 View Post
did anybody bother to read my post above?
What post?


Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
Reply With Quote
  (#7) Old
rrfranczak3 rrfranczak3 is offline
Super Moderator
 
rrfranczak3's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,902
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Upstate New York, U.S of A.
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 05-23-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrfranczak3 View Post
bottom line is that these Minis DO NOT like aftermarket batteries....some work...most do not......I always buy direct from Dell...but thats just me......Good Luck
.....


Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
Reply With Quote
  (#8) Old
lswartz lswartz is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 479
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Maryland
Default 05-23-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklaas View Post
:If you have specific information about this battery not being compatible, please advise.
Sorry, I don't.

Seems like a few weeks shouldn't kill your battery (as it worked when you installed it). At $99 for a Dell battery I would look elsewhere too. Is it too late to return your battery? Are you considering a new netbook?


| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
8cell, battery, bios, charging, mini9

« Help with Mini 9 reinstall of windows xp - lost cd | battery not charging »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Copyright © 2008-2016 MyDellMini.com.