Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default mini 9 very slow after 'cold' startup - 01-27-2011, 11:42 AM

hi all

basically i've been having issues with my mini 9 when i boot up from cold and try to go online using firefox. For at least 30-40 mins following bootup, my internet is almost unusable. I repeatedly get 'not responding' messages from firefox along with slow script notifications. However, after a while, the machine seems to 'warm up' as it were, and the firefox issues go away almost completely. I am at a loss to figure out what the problem could be but any help would be great.

if it is of any use/relevance i'm running a 64gb runcore , xp home SP3 and 2gb ram.

(#2) Old
Default 01-27-2011, 02:51 PM

What does taskman (Task Manager) report while slow? How's CPU usage? How's virtual memory usage? (If applicable, you might have VM turned off)

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Default 01-27-2011, 03:10 PM

cpu usage can be pretty high. VM is set at 3Gb. The best way i could describe it when it happens is like running xp on an old machine that doesn't have enough RAM. It becomes impossible to try and open more than 2 windows at once and there can be serious delays between double clicking a shortcut and the program actually opening
  (#4) Old
Default 02-07-2011, 10:54 AM

something weird is definitely happening - as the previous poster has suggested check into your running programs and see what is hogging resources. Your SSD should run pretty quickly seeing as it's a runcore. Also check your startup programs (maybe the anti virus is running a start-up scan) under msconfig deselect what you don't want to start.

« Problem with lid closed | Installing new SSD »