Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old

Default "Operating System not found" message - 12-30-2010, 05:27 AM

I turned on my Dell Mini Inspiron 910 and I see the following message:

For Realtek RTL 8101E/8102E PCI-E Ethernet Controller V1.08 (080408)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM
Operating system not found

When I called Dell for help, because my warranty has expired, the only thing they would tell me was to reinstall my Windows XP disc. The only problem is my computer doesn't have anywhere to put a disc.

I also tried to find info online and to try to reset the computer it said to hit F8 when the dell screen comes up but it doesn't do anything. Just continues to go to the error screen.

It would be greatly appreciated if someone would help me with this but after reading some of the responses I need to emphasize that I need it laid out in simple terms. No "big words" please!!!
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 12-30-2010, 12:54 PM

The Mini 9 uses a SSD (solid state drive) with memory chips for storage, instead of a conventional, spinning hard drive.

That error message means your Mini 9 cannot find a device to boot off. This may mean that the Windows OS data on the SSD is corrupt, and a reinstall or repair of the data is possible. You could buy a external USB optical drive or look into installing XP off a flash drive...

But I think there's also a large chance that your SSD has died. If so, then reinstall or repair won't be possible. The only option is a replacement SSD, a new 16GB Mini 9 SSD is maybe $60.

Try looking in the BIOS setup screen. Hit 0 or 2 when the Dell splash screen appears. It should display the SSD capacity. If it's 0, then it has failed. Here's a webpage with a picture of the Mini 9's BIOS screen (ignore the content, it doesn't apply to your problem): Dell Mini 9 USB pendrive recovery from failed BIOS flash | fosk.it! 2.0

It's possible to run some OSs off a USB flash drive, which might save you the expense of a new SSD. But I don't think Windows likes running off a flash drive.

Good luck.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old

Default 12-30-2010, 02:44 PM

Thank you Guru. I hit 2 at startup and got the phoenixBIOS setup utility screen.
I have gone thru all the screens on the setup utility (main, advanced, security, boot) and none of them have something listed as SDD.
There is a HDD size and it says "0". Is that the same thing?
Thank you again for helping. I just got this computer, turned it on once to see that it worked, boxed it up again to give to my son and now this. Ugh!
  (#4) Old
Guru

Default 12-30-2010, 03:34 PM

The "HDD" (hard disk drive) label is a misnomer. It does refer to the SSD. And a "HDD" size of 0 GB suggests SSD failure.

To get the Mini 9 working again, you'll need a replacement SSD. The Mini 9 only accepts special "Mini 9" SSDs. RunCores and 2nd gen SuperTalents are among the most well regarded Mini 9 SSDs. A used STEC (STEC makes the OEM SSDs) could be another choice.

You should be able to find one, used or new, on this site, or its sponsors, or eBay. Be aware that many major retailers don't stock Mini 9 SSDs anymore.

Instead of a replacement SSD, you can run off a USB flash drive or USB hard drive or USB card reader. But as I stated earlier, it might not be easy to get Windows running on a USB storage device.

On other Minis, you can boot off an OS installed to an SD card in the onboard reader. But it has the same limitations as USB storage, and the onboard reader isn't bootable on the Mini 9, anyway.

Also, if you get a new SSD, you'll need a way to install Windows on the new SSD. The easiest way would be via a USB optical drive (maybe $40 for a slim DVD burner).

(#5) Old

Default 12-31-2010, 08:56 AM

As reflex has suggested you can run off a USB card reader but in my view this is not an option. The only solution is to buy a new SSD - you must not buy a SATA SSD which can be found but it must be a PATA SSD.

As reflex has said runcore and STEC are the preferred SSD's
  (#6) Old
Super Moderator

Default 12-31-2010, 02:58 PM

I think you meant SuperTalent rather than STEC as preferred. STEC is what Dell uses and they're ok, but not as good as RunCore or SuperTalent.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 8.1
  (#7) Old

Default 12-31-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
I think you meant SuperTalent rather than STEC as preferred. STEC is what Dell uses and they're ok, but not as good as RunCore or SuperTalent.
Ops - yep supertalant!!!!, I have two runcores 64 gig which have been in use for around 2 years now and no issues to date.
  (#8) Old

Default 01-01-2011, 04:27 PM

I have the same problem, but my HDD size is 7683MB. Does this mean my SSD has not failed and if so, what should I do to fix it.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have tried booting it from USB sticks for ubuntu which would let me run a trial of the OS but when I went to install it it said
Quote:
input/output error during write on /dev/sda
I could only partition my SSD to NTFS or a few others and couldn't install more Gpartition options as I had no internet connection as I couldn't download those drivers on the trial version.

Alternatively, I have also boot Mac OS X Snow Leopard and it has also not let me partition the SSD as it says:

Quote:
disk erase failed with the error: posix reports cannot allocate memory
and that my SDD was unformatted.

I am using a DELL mini 9 with a STEC PATA 8GB- (PM) and my BIOS version is A00.

As I said any help would be really appreciated as I am really stuck.
  (#9) Old

Default PLease help - 01-01-2011, 07:43 PM

Any one have any thoughts on this?
  (#10) Old
Guru

Default 01-01-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cahillbb View Post
Any one have any thoughts on this?
Sounds dead.

« Installation of Windows Issue w/ new SSD | ------>No Web Cam After XP Pro Install*****HELP**** »