Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default Windows 7 install on Vostro A90 - 12-21-2010, 03:05 PM

I have some problem to reinstall a new fresh OS on my Vostro A90.

First i want to reinstall an XP OS (the one i have before).
So i created an USB bootable disk with XP. I delete all the old partitions and during the second step of the install, the install keep blocked.
I try to reinstall another time but this time the SSD disk is not recognized.

So i though it was a SSD driver problem of XP which is too old to manage SSD disk. So i try a new fresh instalation of Windows Seven with the same USB drive like explained in this page of the forum : Windows 7 USB Installation & Installation procedure.

But muy problem start at step 6. I am in the page where i have to select in which partition i want to install Windows.
The SSD is well recognize with the 7,44 GB unallocated disk space.
But when i tried to install on this unaloacted partition, it is said that it is impossible to install in the SSD disk "Setup was unable to create a system partition or locate an existing partition."
and the next message when i try to install :
"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

So i keep blocked in this step.
I think the problem can become of two things :

- driver to manage the SSD disk during the instalation (but i don't understand why it found the SSD and inform of the unalocated space)
- But i think the problem is much moire due to the boot sector which is not put to the SSD.

I try a lot of things but there's no way to make it work.
So I will be really grateful if someone can helpme because i can't use anymore my Dell !!!

USB : TDKMedia Trans-It Drive 16 GB formatted in NTFS
Dell Vostro A90 Bios revision A0

Thanks in advance

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 PM ----------

I have tried to create a partition with diskpart like this :

But it is said that there is a problem of cyclic redundency.

With Gpart no success, the SSD is not recognize and only find my USB drive on which i boot with gparted live !

Help please i don't have much more idea !!!

(#2) Old
Default 12-21-2010, 06:35 PM

I suggest selecting a "Custom" install, deleting all existing partitions and let Windows install to the unpartitioned space. That said, 8GB is really too small to be effective for a Windows 7 (or even XP) install.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old
Default 12-21-2010, 10:26 PM

I have already try a custom installation.
I deleted all the partitions during my first try to install windows XP.
I don't want to install Windows 7. I try to install it only to avoid thinking about a SSD driver problem because the installer of 7 manage SATA directly.

And i try to install both windows XP and 7 but i get the same message in the both case "Setup was unable to create a system partition or locate an existing partition."
So it didn't let me install windows (XP or 7) in the SSD. The disk is shown as unalocated space of 7463 Mo so the real size but i can't use it.

So investigating i try the ultimate boot cd to watch if there are sectors problems on the SSD.
Using the testdisk program it inform me that the boot sector is bad. I try to recover it with testdisk but it can't recover the boot sector. It's like if the SSD is locked for writing the boot sector.
So my main problem for the ssd is to be able to create the primary partition.

(#4) Old
Default 12-21-2010, 10:48 PM

The SSD might have failed.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#5) Old
Default 12-21-2010, 11:54 PM

I was thinking about that but it worked nice until i try to install a new fresh XP.

I don't understand but the main problem is to access to the SSD. It is well recognize but can read/write it.

I try to install Ubuntu for netbook to try another program, and i get "input/output error during read on dev/sda"
So i don't know what happened. Is there a specific driver for the Vostro SSD of 8 Go ?
Is there any manipulation to do to make an SSD read/write possible ?

The SSD seems like lost since i deleted the two partitions (one of windows and another one of small size (like 32 mo or something like that)

I try a lot of things but nothing work !!!

Is there any way to test and to be sure that the SSD is dead ??

And trying to install from the dell cd can help ?

« Cannot partition in XP or OSX | Unable to format/create primary partition »