Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default Battery accidentally discharged, now battery won't charge at all - 11-28-2010, 04:33 AM

Hi MyDellMini forums! I have owned my Mini 9 since two Thanksgivings ago, and used it regularly until this August. I went back to school and left it with my family, who had expressed interest in using it. When I came back over the break, I found out that they haven't really been using it and let it discharge all the way! I didn't notice immediately because I immediately plugged it in, booted it, and upgraded it to Ubuntu 10.10 because I knew they wouldn't have, but once I tried to unplug it, I realized it was barely charging!

It's been plugged in for 4 hours and it says that the battery is present and charging, yet it's only at 4%, or Energy 1.4 Wh when it says the full capacity should be 35Wh.

Is my battery totally dead? Is there no way to get it to recharge itself?
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 11-28-2010, 05:11 AM

the battery is probably shot, you got 2 yrs so you cant complain, they usually last about 1 1/2yrs at best, basically these batteries go by number of charges/discharges but completely draining them is not good for them either, I got my 6cell with my Mini 10 a yr ago July and I never let it get lower than 40%, and it can sit in the case for 2 or 3 weeks and its at 100% (99%) when I take it out, but like I said if you got 2yrs out of aint bad....I would replace it, dont let it kill your SSD, many people seem to have a problem with their SSD when the battery hits 0%

PS. Welcome to the forum....

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#3) Old
Default 11-28-2010, 05:21 AM

I think one thing that can kill Li-ion batteries is letting them discharge completely (running them down and then not charging them for a while). I wouldn't write your battery off yet, but it's possible you will need a new one.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit

« Dead dell | ambiguous ssd error msg »