Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default Broadcom WiFi Issue - 07-29-2010, 01:38 PM

Well, for the last year my Mini 9 has been working great running XP. Until yesterday when my Broadcom Arcadyne Wireless LAN disappeared. I click on device manager and it's not listed. I go into BIOS and LAN is activated and all looks OK. Obviously, my wireless capability has gone. So I re-installed the driver and get this message:

"No compatible hardware found. The software you are attempting to install is not supported on this system. The software will not be installed"

I can't fathom it out. How can the hardware just disappear? Any help greatly appreciated, thanks.
  (#2) Old
Default 07-29-2010, 04:40 PM

To help diagnose the problem, I'd reboot into another OS and see if it can see the wireless card.

Specifically, I'd use Linux (a Live CD/USB is fine, it doesn't need to be installed to the SSD) and run "sudo lshw -C network" in a terminal. That'll give you a listing of network hardware. A typical Mini 9 will have two entries, one for wired and one for wireless.

Here's my explanation of the command:
"sudo" = super-user do = run following command with admin privileges
"lshw" = list hardware
"-C network" = tells lshw to just list network devices

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit

« Urgent Help Needed SSD replaced and not working :-( | Buzzing electrical noise »