Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default Urgent Help Needed SSD replaced and not working :-( - 07-29-2010, 11:52 AM

New to the forum and any assistance is much appreciated (in anticipation)

The SSD in my Mini 9 (Inspiron 910) failed some time ago. Disc Read Error on start up, local PC station diagnosed the SSD as kaput. I just got around to ordering a replacement, I bought a RUNCORE 32gb.

As my previous SSD was kaput I could not create a ghost of the OS, I have fitted the new SSD and I am getting the "NTLDR is missing" error message on start up, I found a website that talked me through creating a copy of some software files onto a USB in order that the mini can boot up (from the USB) this hasn't worked.

I can't boot from the Dell OS disc as I cannot install the drivers of the external CD drive that I have.

I have also tried creating a ghost image of the OS from my other DELL Inspiron laptop but the mini still does not recognise the SSD and I still receive the "NTLDR" error message.

Any help greatly appreciated
Is there anything I can do.

Could somebody talk me through what I need to do in order to
  (#2) Old
Expert Member
Default 07-29-2010, 12:20 PM

Does the BIOS see the drive?
You shouldn't need any drivers for the external CD drive, you should be able to hit the selective boot button, forget what it is on the 9, or go into BIOS and set CDROM to first boot device and as well disable the SSD/HD as a bootable device.
I noticed sometimes the BIOS won't recognize a CDROM right off the bat, let it go through a boot attempt, hit control alt delete to restart and try the selective boot with the optical drive.

(#3) Old
Default 07-29-2010, 12:23 PM

How did you install Windows on the new SSD?

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#4) Old
Thumbs up 07-29-2010, 12:27 PM

Hi, OK, BIOS is seeing the new SSD, just tried again with the booting from an external CD drive, hey presto, Windows now re-installing.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

« Mini 9 Charging Extremely Slow | Broadcom WiFi Issue »