Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default Does anyone know what dell's warranty procedure is like? broken keyboard - 07-23-2010, 04:58 PM

I have a dell mini 9 and recently its stopped charging and there are 5 keys on the keyboard that no longer work.

the two square bracket keys, the hash key, the back slash key and and one other key all do not work.

I purchased an extended warranty and sent it back to dell to get repaired. The first time i recieved it back, I was sent a new power adaptor so the laptop would charge but the keys still didnt work.

I had the laptop sent back a second time but, and was told that the motherboard and keyboard had been replaced but the same keys still didint work. Doesnt inspire confidence that dells techies cant test a keyboard to make sure the problem is fixed.

Anyway I called dell again and the engineer was very apologetic and said that the laptop would be collected a third and final time and if the problem was still not fixed they would consider replacing the laptop.

What I would like to know is how do dell go about resolving situations like these? Will they replace it if it isnt fixed or will they send me round the houses? Has anyone ever had their laptop replaced by dell? I'm just worried that dell will be arsey about the whole thing. If they do decided to write it off will they give a cheque/credit, or will they just send me a new one?

The reason I asked was because I once made the mistake of buying a laptop from Currys and it took 6 months of to-ing and fro-ing to get it replaced. So not looking forward to that.

If anyone has any advice I would be massively appreciative!! Thanks in advance!
  (#2) Old
Default 07-23-2010, 05:34 PM

My guess is that the "keyboard map" is incorrectly set. I assume you have a UK keyboard? Try this:

1. Turn off your computer
2. If your computer is connected to the ac adapter, disconnect the ac adapter from the computer
3. Press and hold the following key combination for the desired keyboard matrix :
_ United States : <Fn><S>
_ United Kingdom : <Fn><K>
_ Japan : <Fn><J>
_ Korea : <Fn><E>
4. Connect the ac adapter to the computer then plug it into a wall outlet or surge protector
5. Release the key combination

If you have the US-International keyboard, use Fn-K.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old
Default 07-24-2010, 12:41 AM

wow, er what can i say? that kinda hit me like a bolt of the blue! I guess I had no idea that the keyboard has its own settings I suppose.

Weird. I suppose I'll try it when it gets back. and thank you!

« wifi "sees" no networks | Dell Mini 9 Won't Charge »