Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default Jumpy touchpad on left side -- see video - 01-07-2009, 05:26 AM

Hi all,

I just received my refurb Mini 9 from the Dell Outlet. I'm experiencing some strange trackpad behavior. When I move my finger horizontally across of the trackpad the cursor jumps about two inches across the screen when I pass a specific point on the left side of the trackpad. It's kind of hard to describe so I made a Youtube video for those of you who are interested:

Has anyone else seen something like this? I changed a bunch of the touchpad settings in the Dell driver to no avail. I also verified that I'm running the latest from I didn't install the Synaptics driver because I figured Dell Support would give me a hard time.

(#2) Old
Default Re: Jumpy touchpad on left side -- see video - 01-07-2009, 07:08 PM

do you get the same behavior with an external USB mouse?

It would probably be some sort of 'dead spot' on the touchpad. I've seen this before (not on a Mini though).

Most likely the touchpad would need to be repalced (and I'm not sure if it does separate from the palm rest itself).

But looks like a physical defect with the touchpad itself.

Another test would be to download Ubuntu 8.10, boot to the CD and run it LIVE from the CD, without installing it to see if you get the same behavior in Linux.

Take care!

Dell Mini Inspiron 9 (910) Obsidian Black, A05 BIOS, 2GB RAM, 32GB Runcore SSD, Bluetooth 2.0, 1.3MP WebCam, OSX 10.6.1 Snow Leopard

« About batteries (KR Model & Not working ones) | SD card with important documents lost format »