Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Lightbulb Mini 9 Newb -- First Impressions and Issues - 01-06-2009, 07:09 PM

Just received my white mini today. Ubuntu, 16GB SSD, 1GB Ram, BIOS A01 .........

Kudos to the site purveyors as I have already found some valuable info here. Nice work.

What I have noticed so far ............

1. I am experiencing some system freezes where the CPU % goes up to 99.9%
which I can recreate each time when vieiwing the screen saver options and selecting between them....

When this happens I have mouse control but cannot launch a new terminal and have to pull the battery to reboot....

Other times it happens quite randomly (2-3 times in the first 8 hours of operation)

-I have Bluetooth Disabled
-Have run all Ubuntu Updates
-Ran the included Dell diagnostic tests............

-How concerned should I be about the Bios update?
Any other helpful tips

(#2) Old
Default Re: Mini 9 Newb -- First Impressions and Issues - 01-07-2009, 01:21 AM

have you tried IBEX Ubuntu (8.10)? I've downloaded that version and installed it. It needs no drivers, works like a charm and never freezes up. I was not too happy with Dell's version of UBUNTU (8.04 with custom interface).

Keep in mind that I've installed a Runcore SSD drive (32 GBs..... from My Digital Discount) which is faster. I use to have 8.10 on the original 4GB drive. That one never locked up and it ran pretty smooth. I've also upgraded the RAM to a 2GB module.

I tried running XP on both the 4GB and 32GB run's OK (obviously faster on the 32GB Runcore one).....but if you're a Unix/Linux user, your natural instinct is to stay as far away as possible from "Microsloth's" products.

Also (as far as I know...but do not quote me on this one) there's a slight performance increase as of A02 Bios.

If you upgrade to A02 (or better......A03) and load all of the factory defaults, it will increase your VIDEO RAM to at least 128MBs.

I've used this website as a great resource in order to install 8.10 on my mini:

Has a great install guide: ... -mini.html

There's also a few guides on how to tweak the OS to run faster.

Finally I've even installed Sun's VBOX in order to virtualize XP (allocated 5GB chunk of Hard Disk space....great application for virtualization).

Hopefully this helps a bit. Both the RAM and SSD upgrades did make a difference in performance.

Take care! ;-)

Dell Mini Inspiron 9 (910) Obsidian Black, A05 BIOS, 2GB RAM, 32GB Runcore SSD, Bluetooth 2.0, 1.3MP WebCam, OSX 10.6.1 Snow Leopard

« Second Battery Not Charging | Will my runcore's cloned XP work in another mini 9 ? »