Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old

Default Boot Error -- PXE error -- Inspiron 910 (Mini-9) - 06-17-2010, 05:39 PM

Help!

After some disk back-up activity using an external USB drive, on reboot, I get the following message after the Dell/Inspiron splash screen:

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 082)
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Realtek RTL8101E/8102E PCI-E Ehternet Controller v1.08 (080408)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM
Operating System not found

It will repeat that each time I hit ENTER.

I had been running the Mini-9 as a Hackintosh and so reinstalled the stock 4 GB SDD with Windows XP (which ran fine last month) and get exactly the same message. I've run diagnostics via the BIOS start up screen and toggled the USB BIOS Legacy Support setting to no avail.

It will not boot up off an external USB (even with USB Legacy Support enabled).

The Mini-9 is running BIOS A05.

One curious thing: I believe in the Main menu of the BIO setup utility, the item called "Fixed HDD: " says "None" and I believe it had my Runcore SDD indicated last time I looked.

Is my Mini-9 toast? (Of course the warranty ended two months ago).

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

-- Tom

 Mini 9  | 2Gb RAM | 16 Gb Runcore SDD | OSX 10.6.3 | NetbookInstaller 0.8.4 RC1 | BIOS A05 | Bluetooth | WiFi | VMWare Fusion |
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-17-2010, 08:59 PM

The PXE error simply means that the BIOS did not find any other bootable device and tried to boot over Ethernet (and failed). If you press 0 at the initial screen does it show your USB drive? If it were just the SSD not booting., I'd say it failed, but it sounds as if you have more problems.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 8.1
  (#3) Old

Default 06-18-2010, 12:56 AM

Ahhh. That makes sense ... I removed and reinstalled the 4 GB SDD (w Windows XP) and NOW the Mini-9 boots properly. The fact that disabling WAN and LAN access only gave me an "Operating system not found" message suggested that the 4 GB SDD wasn't seated properly.

Carefully reinstalling my Runcore SDD (with Mac OS X 10.6.3), the BIOS diagnostics showed it was present (but I still can't boot into OS X ... but that is probably because I messed up the SDD when doing an OS update ... I'll keep working on that). At least it doesn't appear to be a serious hardware failure .....

Thanks!

-- Tom

 Mini 9  | 2Gb RAM | 16 Gb Runcore SDD | OSX 10.6.3 | NetbookInstaller 0.8.4 RC1 | BIOS A05 | Bluetooth | WiFi | VMWare Fusion |
  (#4) Old

Question I have this problem - 07-21-2010, 06:03 PM

Hi,
I am fixing a Dell Mini 910 for a friend and am having this same problem. I even can't use the Dell OS CD because when I get to the point where it has the newly and partition and formatted (NTFS), XP Home has been copied over and the reboot happens, it will not boot from the Solid State Drive...very frustrating but I'm sure it is just my inexperience with the Mini. Please HELP! ...
  (#5) Old
Super Moderator

Default 07-21-2010, 07:29 PM

It could be that the SSD is failing - I have seen this symptom before where you can partition it but not install.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 8.1
  (#6) Old

Default 07-26-2010, 09:33 PM

Thanks for you help and advice. I actually did resolve the problem but this time it was not the SSD but a BIOS issue. System works like a charm now
  (#7) Old

Default 07-29-2010, 04:47 PM

Having the same problem. Interested to know what KingBaldwin's BIOS issue was and how it was resolved
  (#8) Old

Default 07-31-2010, 11:33 PM

If you have already flashed the BIOS with the latest version, change your BIOS settings for the boot devices (order of booting) and deselect all devices and save the settings. At this point your Mini will do nothing because you told it to not boot from anything. Reboot the Mini and go in and put the "!" by all the wanted boot devices, and then save your settings. Try OS'ing the SSD then and let me know how you made out as your issue should be fixed. I think it is a small glitch in the BIOS that was overlooked.
  (#9) Old

Default 08-04-2010, 08:10 PM

I am having the same problem listed above. I have tried both the removal of the SSD and the BIOS fixes (I don't have the newest BIOS mine stats A00)

It is not stock: 2gb, win 7, 16gb ssd.

the ssd is detected in the "PhoenixBIOS Stepup Utility".

Any suggestions...help would be greatly appreciated.
  (#10) Old

Default 08-05-2010, 05:46 AM

Flash OS with USB....cleared entire primary disk part in the process.

« Black Screen and 2-1-1 Beeps HELP!! | USB issues »