Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Question SSD failure behavior -- to salvage or scrap? - 06-14-2010, 03:55 PM

My Mini came from Dell with a 64G SSD that, after almost 2 years, today seems to be on the verge of imminent failures -- on Linux, the badblocks utility detected over 1,000 bad blocks in the largest partition (/home).

Is it likely to fail completely in the foreseeable future, or would the drive be likely to survive for another few months? An SSD upgrade does not seem to be worth it at this point (over $200 for a RunCore, and I live in Germany, so returning it in case of failure would be rather costly), and I'd like to stretch the Mini's usable lifespan until the new dual-core netbooks come out in the holiday season, if possible.

Muchas gracias :/
  (#2) Old
Default 06-14-2010, 05:29 PM

If single-booting Linux is good enough for you, then you can boot the Mini off a flash drive (or SD/microSD card in a USB reader) when/if the SSD fails.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Default 06-19-2010, 01:54 AM

The only recommendation anyone can give is to assume the SSD controller has these bad blocks under management (isolated) and back up everything before you shut down.

No one knows if or when or how these may fail just that when is does it will be sudden and irreversible.

« Netbook and Wireless Question | Having problems with SD Card Slot :( »