Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default Display constantly switching off in Windows? - 05-05-2010, 02:05 PM

I have a Mini 9 which I bought used. Came with XP. Periodically the display would switch off. I put Win7 on it and it did the same. Had UNR on for quite a while and had no issues whatsoever. However, as much as I hate to say it, Win7 is just a lot more convenient so I put it back on. Display problem is horrible.

Here's what exactly I get. Works normally, then I hear the "da-dun" sound windows makes when you disconnect a device. Shortly thereafter the screen shuts off. Then usually another "Da-dun" that Windows has detected a connected device. I press the fn-8 key to switch the display and it turns the display back on. I've also found that closing and reopening the display will turn it back on as well.

I'll be darned if I can figure out what exactly it is. There are times where it will work for half an hour with no problems. And then there are times like right now where it's shutting off about every 15 seconds. Seems like that's more often. EXTREMELY annoying.
It *SEEMS* like it's somehow physically affected, like it does it more often when set down or touched or something, but then it will decide to do it just sitting by itself with no movement and I have yet to find anything I can repeatably do to get it to do it.
I took the entire thing apart as much as I could and unplugged everything and then put it back together. And it seemed happy. For a week. Then it started acting up again... Which really seems physical...

However... Like I said, I have no issue with Linux... The only thing I can think of is perhaps it's a momentary issue that never actually disconnects anything and Linux doesn't bother shutting off where Windows think it was disconnected for the slightest bit of time and it needs to shut it off?

I've wondered about the display shut sensor, but that shouldn't set of the "da-dun" disconnected sound... Seems like it would have to be something with that display connector, right? Maybe I can pop the keyboard out and try to make it more secure somehow and see if that makes a difference?

Any thoughts? I've searched and haven't found anyone that seems to have this issue...

(#2) Old
Default 05-05-2010, 11:22 PM

The cable that runs from the display to the motherboard, through the hinge, is stressed, bent or incorrectly positioned. The webcam cable goes through the same place so it is probably getting pulled out, resulting in the sound you hear.

I have seen a couple of reports of this before. Since you took it apart, do it again and pay close attention to the routing of the cables.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« System Freeze on Start-up | Latest Skype 4.2.x w/ Mini 9 on Win7 Ultimate »