Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Post Can't boot from CD/DVD drive - 12-30-2008, 10:17 PM

I own two Mini-9s, one 8gb HD with 2gb memory running XP Home, and one 4gb HD with 2gb memory running Ubuntu. I also just received a RunCore 32gb SSD which I wish to install into the Ubuntu machine. I have played with the set-up reordering the boot devices to just about every possible permutation, yet when I hit 10 at the start screen, and the only options I get are boot from hard drive, boot from network, and diagnostics. I have tried using an IOMagic drive both with and without power, and a Plextor PX 716 UF. I have tried this on both computers, swapping the SSD. All I get is the remove disk and press any key (no, I don't search for the "Any" key.) I have also tested the CD/DVD drives after good boots from the hard drive. I have also created an XP Pro Boot Flash Drive, getting the same results. (The Flash drive does work on my XPS.) MyDigitalDiscount web site suggests using Acronis True Image Software, but that only works on Windows based systems. I have searched for Linux based Ghosting and moving software, but they all require either a CD/DVD drive, or a bootable recipient with the software mounted on both machines.

Could someone PLEASE tell me what I am doing wrong, or what I can do to make my SSD bootable with Ubuntu.

Thank you

(#2) Old
Default Re: Can't boot from CD/DVD drive - 12-31-2008, 01:49 AM

When you select to boot to the CD/DVD/USB device in the BIOS, it should automatically boot to that device first when you turn on the system. There is no need to hit any keys at start-up, which you are probably doing before it gets a chance to scan the USB port for a bootable device.

(#3) Old
Default Re: Can't boot from CD/DVD drive - 12-31-2008, 03:57 PM

I don't know what I did differently, but it finally worked. I did have to switch USB ports, but it worked on the second try, so I now have a 32gb Mini-9 running Ubuntu. Words cannot express my gratitude, since I have been working on this project since mid October (I originally received a DOA SDD.) Again, thanks millions.

« Stuck key upon unboxing, Dell Tech Support madness. Funny! | Memory allocation error (0xdeadbeef, 0x0) »