Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default Mini 9+XP= Dead SSD! - 03-28-2010, 01:30 AM

Hey guys. I have a base model Mini 9, with a 4GB SSD and a 2GB stick of RAM. I installed Windows XP onto the tiny SSD earlier this year. Things went well, I kept the OS on the SSD with the apps etc. on an 8GB SD card. I loved it. It was all fun and games until I tried clearing out the cache on Google Chrome, when the netbook promptly spat out a BSoD at me. I then rebooted the machine.
At the Dell logo, the progress bar now got to 2/3 full, and then froze for about 5 minutes before trying to boot XP. It then told me "Operating System Not Found". I said to myself, "Okay. I'll just reinstall XP." I connected an external CD drive and booted the XP installer disc. THEN it told me that I had no hard drive. So, now I think my SSD is dead and whenever I boot it up at all, it freezes at the loading bar for about 5 minutes. I installed the latest BIOS (A06), but to no avail.
I've been running Ubuntu from a live USB for two weeks now, losing everything every time I reboot. I need some help here, guys!
  (#2) Old
Default 03-28-2010, 01:38 PM

You will find many other posts in this forum with a similar tale. I'm thankful that, so far (20 months) this has not (yet) been an issue for me. XP itself isn't relevant. Replacing the SSD is really the only option. If it is still under warranty, call Dell.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

bsod, dead, mini, ssd, windows xp

« unpleasant surprise ... won't boot | help needed minicard driver 5530 »