Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#11) Old
Default Re: SSD is too slow - 02-18-2009, 10:04 PM

Another thing to check...look at the IDE controller in the H/W Mgr. The Advanced properties will show the mode it is using...which should be "Ultra DMA Mode 5"...and not PIO. If it happened to drop into PIO mode, it will crawl...but still work and pass diags. I would "think" this would also impact read speeds, so may not be the issue here. My wife's D430 with 32gb SSD had this issue ( which also uses IDE for the SSD like the Mini 9 )...set to "use DMA if available" mode, rebooted, and all was well. Ironically, it was running ATTO that caused it to jump into PIO mode...took a while to find ( Dell Tech Support actually found it after I gave up ). I haven't seen this with any of my Minis...but it "smells" similar enough to pass-on...
  (#12) Old
Default Re: SSD is too slow - 02-18-2009, 10:41 PM

i also rechecked with another bench tool and i retested with atto after defragmenting the drive with tune up 2009 and it shows again higher results than before!
before defrag write: 15 after 17
before defrag read: 70 after 76
as defragmenting is not reccomended (needed) for ssd i come to think that the bench is optimized for "normal" hds. ssd have different features. So i will not bother anymore about writes or reads but how my mini works

« Front microphone active with webcam??? | BIOS A04 update "breaks" the webcam? »