Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Unhappy Is my little MINI friend dying? :-( - 03-19-2010, 05:06 AM

Bought a Mini 9 in December 2008 (paid over $500 thru QVC). Bought the extended warranty as well (or so I thought).

I absolutely loved it and used it everyday! In, December 2009, at the airport, my battery started discharging really quickly. At the hotel, it would not recognize the power cord. When I borrowed a power cord from a fellow Dell Mini owner, it gave me the dreaded error message: Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll Please reinstall a copy of the above file.

I called DELL support (joke) and it was 2 days past the warranty expiration and they will not help me because they say my extended warranty thru QVC is not supported by them. When I called QVC, they say they find no record of my extended warranty purchase and will not honor it. I am trying to now fix it myself...... I ran the memory diagnostics and it passed all 8 tests. When I ran the Hardware Diagnostics and it is running the Confidence Test, I get an error code: OFOO: 1344 Msg: DISK_O - Block 3542722 and subsequent error messages.

BAD NEWS, right? Just curious as to what you think. I lost my job and I don't have $49 to speak to Dell Tech Support. Junk it? Fix it? It was great when it worked and went everywhere with me - I am do disappointed in DELL! I could have bought 2 cheaper Netbooks for less than what I paid for this one. As far as I am concerned, its performance did not justify the price tag - I took such great care of this - never dropped, jostled, etc. I cannot figure it out. Thanks for any input!

(#2) Old
Default 03-19-2010, 05:28 AM

Check the SSD disk size as reported by the it what it should be?

« Dell Mini 9 netbook works when on AC power, Battery light flashes orange ? | Windows XP Reinstall »