Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

(#1) Old
Post Seriously....does the mini9 kill SSDs? Mine does... - 03-19-2010, 04:39 AM

I've been reading these forums for almost a year now.

I bought my mini9 almost a year ago. I spec'd it out to the max from Dell (stupid, I know). I got 2GB, 64GB stec, webcam, bluetooth, BT mouse, bag, etc...

My first stec died after about 3 months of use, Dell replaced it under warranty.

The second 64GB stec (the replacement) only lasted 6 days.

I told Dell to shove their stec up their @$$....funny thing is, they listened, I sent the drive back and never heard from Dell again. Then I bought a SuperTalent 16GB drive from newegg to hold me over until a "nice" drive was released.

The SuperTalent lasted almost 6 months. In all three cases, the OS would fail to load, and the BIOS would report the SSD capacity of 0GB.

Here are some similar cases from a quick search in these forums:

-- RunCore ProIV getting killed in new mini9s

-- Issue with booting Mini 9

So, I'd like to see how widespread this problem is. And, I'd like to hear some possible solutions, and or tips from users who have not had any problems.

The reason I chose the Dell in the first place, was that compared to all the other netbooks on the market, this one had zero moving parts. With no fan, and an SSD, I figured it would be the most reliable option....boy was I wrong
  (#2) Old
Default 03-19-2010, 05:09 AM

I wouldn′t hesitate to get a RunCore. The T Model had a problem with not being insulated but is easily fixed with small nylon washers or as RunCore now does, with electrical tape covering the bottom. I′d use washers. Since that has been solved I don′t think you′ll find many problems and if you are still worried about it just get the standard non-T model. I′ve built three and they are all great.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 64G RunCore | 2G Ram | Bios A05 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

Mini 10V
| OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 160G HD | 2G Ram | Bios A06 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

(#3) Old
Default 03-19-2010, 05:26 AM

Thanks for the report!
  (#4) Old
Default 03-19-2010, 04:15 PM

My SSD failed last week. Sounds like I was fortunate to get 14 months of use. It is the Stec 8gb stock drive.
At least I'm assuming the drive is dead. Showing 0mb in Bios, cannot partition, cannot detect via 3rd party software or recover via windows. I even tried to reflash the Bios with no luck. I guess its dead. Has anyone talked to Stec? Should they warranty this thing for longer then 1 year? Can we get Dell to make good via class-action?

I'm having trouble finding a reasonable cost replacement drive.
I'm reading stories of some aftermarket drives are having issues with taking an OS.(supertalent)
Can the Dell mini house anything else other then a SSD?
Can Windows run off the SD card slot or USB drive as a temporary alternative?

Any ideas?
  (#5) Old
Default 03-19-2010, 05:15 PM

The Mini 9 can use one of the card SSDs only, and only those made specifically for the Mini 9. Windows won't boot from a removable drive (except with an unusual installation) and the SD slot is not bootable. period.

I would recommend a RunCore or SuperTalent drive. For SuperTalent, make sure the part number ends in GFDL and not GHDL.

I don't know why these SSDs seem so prone to failure. It appears to be a problem in the SSD's firmware.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#6) Old
Default 03-20-2010, 01:35 AM

Thanks for that headsup: "For SuperTalent, make sure the part number ends in GFDL and not GHDL" I didn't know there was a difference.

One option is to sell the mini to someone who wants it for OSx and can just swap the drive. Its mint. But to tell the truth, I really like my Mini. Its hard to justify a $60 (16gb) purchase every couple years on a $200 netbook. Will think about it.

Maybe considering a 4gb drive pulled by an upgrader and install linux on it.
  (#7) Old
Default 03-20-2010, 02:55 AM

Bought a refurb Mini 9 with a 4GB STEC SSD about a year ago. Several complete OS reinstalls later (I like to experiment ), it's working as well as ever (knock on wood ).

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#8) Old
Default 03-20-2010, 06:11 AM

And for the record, while Windows doesn't like running off of a USB drive, OSX will run just fine on my 16gb microsd card in a usb slot, as does Linux.
  (#9) Old
Default 03-21-2010, 11:39 PM

HEY miahallen, nice to see a fellow ocf member over here.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the mini 9. Had mine for just as long and have had the stock 4gb and current stock 8gb stec ssd running for the life of it and have had no problems.

It could be the fact that it might be overheating, with all those extra options and i know the ssds have abuncha stickers on them, they could easily be over heating.
  (#10) Old
Default Runcore died and now my stec - 03-22-2010, 08:40 AM

I think I am killing them by allowing the battery to run down too much. Its an observation. SSD are harder to recover than normal drives and the diagnistics says they are both perfect.

I am running a super talent at the moment, but windows 7 has come up and said the software is not genuine. Hmm it was loaded from a Dell disk .. I am afraid to touch anything until I get home and I am close to my back ups

dead ssd, mini9 killed my ssd, mini9 ssd, mini9 ssd upgrade

« Dell Mini 9 Asking for "HHD Password" | Lost BIOS password. »