Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default Mini 9 making odd noises - 02-10-2010, 10:25 PM

I have 2 noise problems that my mini 9 is doing that is making it nearly impossible to live with. I believe the first one is software, and the second is definitely hardware. But they're both very obnoxious.

The software one is a strange bug. I'm running Windows XP, and you know that sound a USB device makes when you plug it in? You know, the "de-DUM" and "du-DEE", and the weird "de-duh-duh-duh". Every time I change the screen angle, my mini makes one of those noises and XP pops up a popup about not recognizing the USB device. It's really annoying because I constantly adjust the angle the screen is back at as the lighting changes: it's mostly upright at a desk, but when I'm lying down, I push it all the way back. If I'm resting it against my legs, sometimes it moves a little. And every time I move the screen, willingly or not, it makes that noise. This is really, really annoying if I'm listening to music, watching a TV show, or generally doing anything where the sound is on. Anyone heard of a similar problem?

The other is a hardware sound. If I take my mini into a quiet room with good echoes, like the bathroom, or the kitchen, this sound is easily apparent. And I do a lot of work at my kitchen table, so it annoys me a lot. It's some kind of weird, high pitched cross between a whine and a beep. (Attempts at recording the sound have failed because my iPhone mic can't pick it up too well, or I would provide one.) Like I said, it's very high pitched, and it's like eeeeee-beepbeepbeep-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee *beat* eeeeeeee-beepbeep-eeeeeeee. And it's constant. All of the time. I hear it best either when flipping the machine over and listening at the vent, or if I put my ear close to the left side where the power cord goes in.

Is the second sound some kind of impending hardware failure noise? It's been going on for about two weeks now, and it's driving me absolutely insane. I can't think or concentrate if there's no masking sound, but I can't turn on masking sound without the weird software beeps happening, so either way I'm getting aggravated. Anyone have any ideas?

(If it helps, this is a Dell Mini 9 gotten right when they came out, around Thanksgiving '08, and it has 2GB RAM (user-upgraded by me last August), 16GB SSD, and Windows XP, like I said.)
  (#2) Old
Default 02-10-2010, 11:16 PM

The first problem is probably due to the webcam cable being stretched, bent or separated when the lid is moved. It is threaded through the hinge along with the display cable. Have you ever taken apart the Mini (I don't mean opening the panel on the bottom)?

The second may be the hiss/whine some people have complained about. I don't hear it on mine, but it does not appear to be a cause for concern (other than annoying.)

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« Dell Mini 9 Hard drive | Screen Issues »