Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#31) Old
Default Re: Problem Installing IOMAGIC DVD Drive - 02-27-2009, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by mcmini9
Originally Posted by pickles
Originally Posted by mcmini9
I was having all the same problems with my Mini 9 not recognizing the I/O Magic DVD drive. As I was Googling around, I saw a post that mentioned a possible bad USB cable. As I was willing to try anything at this point, I grabbed a USB 2.0 A/B cable from a DLINK Powered USB hub that I have and tried that. And the problem disappeared. I suspect that the cable supplied with the unit is not of the highest quality. So, I just returned from BestBuy with a Dynex retractable USB A/B cable and it is working just fine. It still is not as reliable using the USB port on the right hand side, but the left hand side port (nearest the power connection) works every time. Also, the retractable cable is much more travel friendly since the main reason that I purchased the unit is to watch DVDs while traveling.
Can you boot from it?
I did not try booting - just accessing it for playing DVD`s
Well if you ever plan to reinstall your os using this drive, you may want to test it.
  (#32) Old
Default iomagic drive problem - 12-19-2009, 02:24 AM

same problems here, i solved the problem with a shorter fatter USB cable! works fine now
  (#33) Old
Default 12-28-2009, 08:20 PM

I have a full size laptop running windows vista sp2 i bought a I/O Magic full size IDVD22DLSE and have the same problems my computer wont recognize the burner i also have a NEC/Sony optiarc full size burner both in external cases design to connect with USB. i have swapped USB cables that didn't help then i took the Sony out of it's case and swapped the 2 burners around that didn't work ether still wouldn't recognize the burner even after it says Installing new device drive software. and to make worse the drive that was suppose to be a 22x i/o magic/LG wont burn in the other case. it fits, it reads CDs/DVDs, it plays CDs/DVDs, but it just wont burn. the I/O Magic came with it's own power cord. i have even tried putting on a self powerd USB Hub still nothing. Long story short i just don't believe that i/o magic products are of Good Quality.

« if bios does't see my hd, is it dead or is there anything else I can try? | Blue screen »