Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default Dell Mini 9 SSD error: "A disk read error occurred" - 01-05-2010, 03:09 PM

I have my Dell mini 9 with 16Gb SSD that came with the unit. I partitioned the SSD into TWO partitions one partition for 10 Gb & other for 6Gb. It was working fine from last 1.3 yrs.

Yesterday, when I was using Boxee, my system hanged. I did a hard re-boot. Upon booting, I get the error as "A disk read error occurred / Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart." Basically, it reads the BIOS & doesnt get into Windows.

1) Did reboot many times, still it doesnt detect the SSD. Not sure whether SSD is conked off OR the main boot record was corrupted.

2) During the boot process, I went to Bios settings by pressing 0. There it shows the hard disk as "STEC00001234" and the SSD size is 16Gb. My question is if the SSD parameters are displayed correctly, does it mean SSD is HEALTHY & it is just that Windows installation is corrupted ?

Please HELP.
  (#2) Old
Default 01-05-2010, 04:05 PM

Just cause the BIOS shows the drive doesn't mean it's OK.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Expert Member
Default 01-05-2010, 05:31 PM

From what I've seen on here it's a dead SSD. The BIOS is just seeing the controller which tells it the make & model etc.

(#4) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default 01-05-2010, 07:18 PM

I had my SSD die so I know your pain. If you are still under warranty, make them send the SSD and mailer to you. They wanted the whole netbook first and after protesting they agreed. It came back with XP and not ONE driver. Didn't matter as I just loaded an image.

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#5) Old
Default 01-13-2010, 03:08 PM

Same here, I'm out of warranty since mids december and my SSD disappears while the system runs. Suddenly skype wants a username and password (asks for "already connected"?) and there is an I/O error on console. After rebooting I got the "0200: Failuire Fixed Disk 0" Error and it works again after some reboots or an amount of time (didn't figure that out). I wrote to the customer support today, but it seems like the SSD is a bad one.

Dell Mini 9
16 GB SSD, 1.3MP Cam, Bluetooth
openSUSE 11.1 - KDE4

dell, disk read error, mini 9

« Finally my mini 9 SSD turn... | Wi-fi problem »